TKR, operation

bobjs

Anyone had it done,

I am now on the waiting list for this op and wanted to ask how long you took to get back on your feet,

I know everyone is different but it's just for a guide,

Thanks

Bob,

One of my staff have just had a new knee. Of her feet for 6 weeks after surgery, currently 3 months postop, back to work and able to walk round the village without stick/crutches. made a big difference to her

father in law had it done about 8-9 years ago, was walking around carrying a zimmer frame within days after the op (staff insisted he use it,he is a stubborn SOB :lol: ) the op straightened his leg beautifully, before the op his knee was badly crooked to the side.

A year each time i had it done ! 1st time only half a knee was done and turned out to be no good so needed to be done again :doh: just keep the ice going i got a ice Cryotherapy cuff knee
pack from a internet site, above all push the pain do what your told keep trying to bend as you will lose a lot of the bend so keep at it feller even if you feel you can't do it , also before you get it done work to get good muscles in both legs as this will help you recover swimming and walking even though you knee hurts like the devils inside just ice with 2 kg peas in a cloth ,recovery take the pain killers to help with the pain no hero's !!! but also take laxatives this will help with the blockages that the morphine will give you just! like compo food but 100 fold​
:rofl: if you can't pee tell them you may need a bag lol ? learn to get over your new implant , i lost the ability to straighten my knee as well as the bend still cant kneel on it or have a full bend so taking a knee is a bugger lol , i got over this by using an old floor board i cut a notch for my heel and a ratchet strap and slept with this strapped on to the underside i just would tighten it each night to get it back straight :eek:, sleeping have fun !!! a pillow between your legs will help in the 1st week home i slept on the settee propping my leg against the back of it keep as active as you can drink plenty of water and wet food , Walking after its all done and dusted it may hurt :-| just below the knee the place that the peg fits in the bone just like the worst shin splints you could have ice ice baby , i am 4 years on mine still hurts like a real painful thing and if i'v been walking or standing its real painful until i'v rested it. enjoy the ride bob its going to be a real bugger for a while after its done.
Then again you may be just like my Old mate who had it done under a pain block and he was awake :eek: he did't do anything he was told he's 70 yrs old go's 8 stone wet and doing fine :old:
look after yourself bob hope all go's well if you need the pack its yours till you don't need it no more.:tiphat:

Omg,

I had a read up on the after effects and boy it sounds like I could be in for a rough ride, got a long wait Paul its a 6 month long que but that's life, no longer earning the big money I was a few years back so no private op for me, as for the ice pack that sounds a good idea I'll let you know when I'm going in, plenty of peas in stock and some thing towels,

I hope alls well and I can get stratts sorted before I go in, the big problem will be the job and I hope to be back on my feet as soon as I can, as you say plenty of therapy and I will have to do my end of the op and get myself fit before the op and keep it up afterwards, need to loose about 2 stone and that is not going to be easy as there is one thing other than shooting that I love and that is food glorious food,

Bob,

for every one pound you lose there is 7 pounds less impact on that joint as told by my surgeon !!! just say no to them big juicy lush fat cakes the the shop sells at work hmmm you know the ones oh and the cream teas are out as well :doh: :rofl: rabbit food mate thats it for now :drool:

Hey Bob, you know I had it done and you saw the pictures I put on here.
I still cannot kneel down, bend my leg more than 30 degrees without pain and it swells during the course of the day.
I know a guy that plays football, he had his done last year and was out and driving the tractor within weeks and playing football as if nothing had happened within six months.
A lot will depend on how much muscle wastage you have before you go in, whether you can do the exercises and losing a bit of weight will help too.
Good luck with that but from what I know of you, you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:
for every one pound you lose there is 7 pounds less impact on that joint as told by my surgeon !!! just say no to them big juicy lush fat cakes the the shop sells at work hmmm you know the ones oh and the cream teas are out as well :doh: :rofl: rabbit food mate thats it for now :drool:

Cheers Paul I think you are right I'll have to walk past the tea rooms :).

Cheers eddy,

I will read this post over and over again and I will have to step up to the mark on this one, I just can not let myself and the girls down, with this pain I have been the grumpiest burger in the house for months,

Regards

Bob

Last edited:
My knee came out of joint before I had it done.
I was on pain killers for a long time before I had it done to the extent that when I was gralloching I wasn't sure whether half the blood was from the animal or whether I'd cut myself :)

My knee came out of joint before I had it done.
I was on pain killers for a long time before I had it done to the extent that when I was gralloching I wasn't sure whether half the blood was from the animal or whether I'd cut myself :)

Dont tell me that eddy, this is going to be hard me thinks :(

Bob

Knee and shoulder replacements are the hardest to recover from. Six weeks on crutches is about right, then a cane for a while. Lots of rehab. I had two hips and a shoulder. The shoulder -year and years ago- was the worst for pain, the hips pretty much kept me house bound -which in a rural setting is tough. Sounds bad but I can tell you this. I hike and hunt like a madman now that I can walk. I ride a motorcycle off road on terrain that would scare the bejeezus out of a 4 wheeler. I went to the gym today and was doing leg presses with 615 pounds. I bench press 350. Most days I roll out of bed feeling like a 20 year old getting the reality check when see my grizzled self in the bathroom mirror. I have a young woman for a girlfriend and I have almost forgotten what it was like to walk around in pain all the time.

Needing surgery sucks, sure, but from the time the scalpel hits your flesh you're on the road to a new lease on life. Embrace the horror and go for it. You'll be so happy you did.~Muir

Sound as if people have had some bad experiences with knee replacement, not good news for Bob or I.
Several people in the home my mother is in have had it done, with various results, but none have needed
crutches for more than a couple of weeks. A mate who helps out in the local tackle shop had his done in july.
He was limping around within a week with a single stick, and without a stick or a limp in two or three weeks.
He is now active and on his feet all day with no issues and has been for a few months now.
That is the result I'm hoping for, and hope the same for you Bob :thumb:

Neil. :)

PS: Hes even older than us Bob :eek:

Sound as if people have had some bad experiences with knee replacement, not good news for Bob or I.
Several people in the home my mother is in have had it done, with various results, but none have needed
crutches for more than a couple of weeks. A mate who helps out in the local tackle shop had his done in july.
He was limping around within a week with a single stick, and without a stick or a limp in two or three weeks.
He is now active and on his feet all day with no issues and has been for a few months now.
That is the result I'm hoping for, and hope the same for you Bob :thumb:

Neil. :)

PS: Hes even older than us Bob :eek:

Cheers for your wishes Neil like wise with you sir,

I am now on the waiting list and will try and lose weight nd get a bit fitter ASAP rally oing o fid that bit hard but hayo that's life,

Ke well sir

Bob

Just get the boss to take your wheels away:eek: that will get you fit feller and what a lovely nice hilly place you work at to do them excessive walks :norty: get off them crutches as soon as you can just a nice walking stick will do the job.

Cheers for your wishes Neil like wise with you sir,

I am now on the waiting list and will try and lose weight nd get a bit fitter ASAP rally oing o fid that bit hard but hayo that's life,

Ke well sir

Bob

Last edited:
Just get the boss to take your wheels away:eek: that will get you fit feller and what a lovely nice hilly place you work at to do them excessive walks :norty: get off them crutches as soon as you can just a nice walking stick will do the job.

looking now for a nice stick Paul, got my girls crutches from when she broke 3 toes so that will save the NHS a few bob (not much) but I will be on the look out for a nice walking stick.

bob.

Back