Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22 hornet

22 hornet

Im looking for a rifle for long range bunnies and was looking at the .17hmr but its a rimfire and want to reload to keep costs down, so now thinking of a 22 hornet, anyone got one ???
    not looking to buy at the moment just to get opinion on the calibre, from the post i have read it sounds like the one to go for, what is the difference between standard and a ,k, model ???
    Last edited by Ray7756; 10-01-2015 at 18:26. Reason: Clear confusion

The hornet round is a nice shooting round
    its reloadable , relatively quiet and light recoil

You say you want to do long range bunnies what do you call long range as a hornet is really about 200 yards at best

the 17HMR has ammo issues that's well documented , will shoot about the same range as a hornet but more sensitive to wind

Id choose a hornet over hmr any day but then I use a .22LR on rabbits out to 100 yards I don' feel the need to shoot them at any longer ranges which suits me fine and a .222 for foxes

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post

You say you want to do long range bunnies what do you call long range as a hornet is really about 200 yards at best

the 17HMR has ammo issues that's well documented , will shoot about the same range as a hornet but more sensitive to wind

Id choose a hornet over hmr any day but then I use a .22LR on rabbits out to 100 yards I don' feel the need to shoot them at any longer ranges which suits me fine and a .222 for foxes
    Changed my mind about the hmr when i read of the amount of exploding guns + it cant be reloaded , already have a .22lr & a 22-250 & a .308 so looking for something for the bunnies at 100 + yards, the 22-250 does the job but doesnt leave much for the pot

theres the 17 Hornet now as well all a HMR should have been only better

I've had a 22 hornet for years top tool but I would like to try a 17 hornet anyone on the site own one and could give an informed opinion ,could be too light for foxes @ 150yds though.

17 Remington or Fireball would be another good choice. vermin capable to 350 - 400 and fox capable to 200. The 204 ruger would be another one that ticks the boxes well

I'm wanting one me sen just wait till Klenchblaize gets here, he is somewhat of a fan

If your after rabbits for the pot i still think .22LR

a hornet has a considerable amount of energy compared to the LR so even head shots will be destructive to the body

if you was just after longer range rabbit control and not for the pot try a hornet it would be great fun

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post

This just isn't true. I have three HMR's and have shot thousands of rounds of Hornet. They aren't in the same class of cartridge at all.~Muir

One of these http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/bilder...ss/HW66_EA.jpg, a tub of Lil-Gun powder and a box of 35g V-Max will put a smile on your face a mile wide.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.