Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tikka M595 .243

tikka M595 .243

alright guys,

I've been looking for a .243 for a few months now and am holding out for something decent at a decent price;

I've been offered a tikka 595 from my local shop with rings for about 450 but am sceptical as its in really good knick with optilocks but don't know much about the rifle, its not screw cut, so how much would thins cost me?

are they good rifles and is it worth going for?

all help appreciated

I had two 595 s and they are excellent rifles, for that price range I do not think you will get anything better.
    As regards the screw cut I do not know about the price but it is worth going to a good gunsmith.I was recommended a gifted amateur the first time I had one cut and the barrel got shorter every attempt ?
    Regards
    Tony

They are superb rifles and that's a good price, especially with a set of Optilocks.

However, I would definitely ask for it to be bore scoped to check for throat erosion and heat-cracking - some .243s are run hot with light-for-calibre bullets going hell for leather. It may well still shoot brilliantly even with significant wear, but if it's your first rifle you'll want to know the barrel has plenty of life left in it.

If the barrel's ok, buy it. As above, despite the usual cries of 'I've got a mate who screw cut my rifle in his shed for 20 and a bag of turnips', I think it's well worth going to a reputable rifle smith who knows how cut a thread concentric to the centre of the bore, won't mark your new rifle and who will probably throw in a lovely 'invisible join' thread protector made from your own barrel stub. Expect to pay around 100 for the work and remember that your rifle will need re-proofing if you ever want to sell it.

A.
    Last edited by Adamant; 10-01-2015 at 18:34.

i don't think it has been used a lot by the looks of it. apparently it was from a shop that went bust and he bought it as stock and needs some space so said i can have it cheaper its up for 650 but he said hell take 450 for it or 150 with my AYA o/u in p/x

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbilling View Post
    i don't think it has been used a lot by the looks of it. apparently it was from a shop that went bust and he bought it as stock and needs some space so said i can have it cheaper its up for 650 but he said hell take 450 for it or 150 with my AYA o/u in p/x

Buy it. I looked at 595 and T3 when i bought and opted for 595. I thought it felt more heavy duty, btr built. But thats just me. Have a feel, compare it with others and make your mind up.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

I've got an S&B 8x56 that'll go lovely on that if your after a scope james

buy it best rifle i ever owned

I have 2 Tikka 595s and am after a third!! May tell you something!

Get it bore scoped if that will put your mind at rest but that really is sweeties for what is a decent rifle with rings that you will never really lose money on.

I would suspect that if its in as good nick as you say and hasn't been screwcut it probably hasn't done a great deal of work.
    Last edited by Mick9abf; 10-01-2015 at 18:53.

If the bore is ok buy it, my Tikka 590 is brill, albeit it was a 243 that is now a 6.5x47.............

ATB,

hh

PS - 590 same as 595 apart from slightly different (smaller) 'opening' on action - where the cases are ejected from