Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people tolerate bad triggers?

Why do people tolerate bad triggers?

I bought an inexpensive Parker Hale 243, trigger weight was OK but sooo much creeeeep. It didn't take much time to set the sear engagement. The previous owner must have put up with it for ages. Why? I just dont get it.
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    I bought an inexpensive Parker Hale 243, trigger weight was OK but sooo much creeeeep. It didn't take much time to set the sear engagement. The previous owner must have put up with it for ages. Why? I just dont get it.
    GH
    Not knowing any better. Maybe he shot off of a bipod and didn't need a good trigger?? If he shot standing he'd have swapped that trigger out. I can't stand a bad trigger!! ~Muir

I put up with an average trigger for years. Treated myself to a Jewel in the last rifle I had built. Much nicer to shoot, breaks like glass and the groups have tightened up as a result. Will never go back to a cheaper one.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I've upgraded all my triggers. The .22 now has a Yodave kit in it, and my 2 Abolts have had the Browning spring replacements. To be fair, the Browning factory triggers are ok, but they're just set too heavy. I don't even think about the triggers now. I guess it's possible a lot of people just aren't good enough shots (and no offence is meant by that, to anyone) to realise how big an effect a bad trigger can have on their shooting?

I put a TRG trigger onto my tikka 595, not that the tikka trigger was bad, it's just a consistency thing as I run two TRG's too, and I put a cmc trigger in the AR as the std one was far too heavy and gritty.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

It's not knowing I think but once you've had a proper trigger you don't look back. That's why I fit good aftermarket triggers to my guns

What Muir said.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Only recently been converted to the "Good" or "Quality" trigger thing, having shot since pre-teens with anything that would go bang fitted with a bent rusty nail, I just learned to go with the flow,... My moment of enlightenment arrived when breaking in my new Winnie build from Brock & Norris, this rifle had been fitted with a Timney, supposed to be one of the better makes?... well after putting on a shade more pull weight, (I once suffered an ND after a loose leather glove finger touched off a round when covering a downed deer, so I like my trigger's to go when I really want them to,) I was pleasantly surprised to the difference it made.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Suppose it depends in what sense you mean bad, if it's weight, then we are all different, I don't like anything less
    than 3 lbs pull.

How does one know they have a bad trigger? Is creep obvious?

I used a Yodave kit to adjust my CZ 455 trigger's weight so it better matched my Weatherby (Howa 1500), but there doesn't seem to be any movement in either one before they break.

Are those just two reasonably-good factory triggers, or did I just get lucky with my particular rifles, or do I not know what to look for?

Thanks,
    Jeff.