Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: 22 hornet load data

  1. #1

    22 hornet load data

    What are you guys using and finding good results with ??

  2. #2
    35 grain V max, 11.6 grains of H110 lit off by a Remington 6 primer.
    Cases are many times re-loaded, but trimed for length every time, neck size
    only and all loads crimped.

    Neil.

  3. #3
    What sort of FPS are you getting from that load??

  4. #4
    H-110 is a great powder for the Hornet. Accurate Arms 1680 is also superb. I, and alot of other Hornet shooters round the world, like Lil Gun from Hodgdon. A 34-36 grain bullet over 13.0 grains for 3000 fps. Loaded as Neil suggests. Trim and crimp only with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.~Muir

  5. #5
    Most people now rate H. Li'l Gun as the powder for the Hornet. It certainly worked best for me in a brief foray with it.

  6. #6
    35 grain v max over 12.9 grains of lil' gun, federal 205 primers, this is close to the max load from hodgdon so work up to it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    35 grain v max over 12.9 grains of lil' gun, federal 205 primers, this is close to the max load from hodgdon so work up to it.
    Notice that the "maximum" charge weight is the same for all weights of bullets between 30 and 50 grains. This should tell you something about Lil Gun and this Hornet case: It is almost impossible to over charge a Hornet case with Lil Gun. Max charge is dictated by case capacity. Max used to be 14 grains but Hodgdon found that only Remington brass would swallow that much Lil Gun without spilling it onto the loading bench!

    A full case (13.0 grains) gives about 25K psi. (24K CUP) with a 35 grain bullet, and then only rises to 40K PSI (38.5 K CUP) with the same charge under a 45 grain bullet. A friend loads Hornet by scooping the case full, shaking it level to the case mouth, tapping it against a bench to settle the powder, and seating a 35 grain V-Max on top. His pretty wife shoots Hornet in such volume that he adopted this method to keep up with her shooting! If there was a flaw in accuracy he'd have heard about it. The girl can shoot.~Muir

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny.c View Post
    What sort of FPS are you getting from that load??
    3050 from an 18 inch barrel, top load is 12.3grains.
    My fps is faster than the book suggests, but is inline with others experience.
    I have never felt the need to go past 11.6grains, and have used 11.2 with great results.
    I only upped the charge after shortening the barrel when I had it threaded, not really sure
    it made any real world difference to be honest, it upped the velocity from 3020 to 3050 but
    made no difference to group sizes, and rabbits and foxes never complained at the lower load.

    Neil.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny.c View Post
    What sort of FPS are you getting from that load??

    My .22 Hornet would give 3019 ftps with a 40 grain Vmax and 13.2 grains of Lil-gun, 35 grain Vmax was 3150 with the same powder charge.

    The 35 Vmax are utter ***** in the wind due to their utter rubbish BC, the 40 Vmax are by far the best if you can single load just modify your magazine to take the longer 40 grain bullets.

    Mine was devastatingly accurate out rabbits out to 250 were no probs in most conditions.


    Steve.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Notice that the "maximum" charge weight is the same for all weights of bullets between 30 and 50 grains. This should tell you something about Lil Gun and this Hornet case: It is almost impossible to over charge a Hornet case with Lil Gun. Max charge is dictated by case capacity. Max used to be 14 grains but Hodgdon found that only Remington brass would swallow that much Lil Gun without spilling it onto the loading bench!

    A full case (13.0 grains) gives about 25K psi. (24K CUP) with a 35 grain bullet, and then only rises to 40K PSI (38.5 K CUP) with the same charge under a 45 grain bullet. A friend loads Hornet by scooping the case full, shaking it level to the case mouth, tapping it against a bench to settle the powder, and seating a 35 grain V-Max on top. His pretty wife shoots Hornet in such volume that he adopted this method to keep up with her shooting! If there was a flaw in accuracy he'd have heard about it. The girl can shoot.~Muir
    I know someone that uses rem brass for this very reason!

Similar Threads

  1. load data
    By jonny.c in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-09-2013, 20:48
  2. 22-250 40g v-max varget Load data
    By jonny.c in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 08:09
  3. load data please
    By jimsim in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-05-2013, 18:20
  4. .22 Hornet ( more load data)
    By 247sniper in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 18-09-2012, 14:02
  5. Wanted load data
    By lizard223 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 18:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •