Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope mounting systems

Scope mounting systems

I'm thinking of splashing out on a variable mag scope for some long range stuff on my .223. However I'd also like to be able to mount this scope to my 7-08 if I ever go on the hill or fancy a go at some very long range targets.
    Two different makes of rifle, CZ and Browning.
    Is there a system where I can get rails fitted to the 2 rifles then buy 1 good scope and a set of QD rings allowing me to switch the scope between the 2 rifles?
    I imagine a Weaver rail system is what I'd need but I'm not sure If they do rails to suit all makes of rifle.

Just thinking
    Mick

p.s. Just found this for the A-bolt http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=225
    Last edited by mickthebrick; 16-03-2010 at 16:51. Reason: more info

You should be able to get weaver type bases but you would be better off with milspec picatinny system for both bases and mounts that way the two should marry up better.

Thanks Jagare.

Looking at MidwayUK it appears you can get QD Warne Weaver rings in 1/2 or 30mm. Weaver bases for the A Bolt, either 1 piece or 2. Weaver rails with a CZ 16mm dovetail adapter on can be bought aswell....not sure where from yet though, none of these seem too expensive either, the Warne rings are the dearest at about £60.

Does anyone out there bother swapping scopes between rifles? Obviously it works out cheaper than 2 scopes but is it worth the bother?

Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    You should be able to get weaver type bases but you would be better off with milspec picatinny system for both bases and mounts that way the two should marry up better.
    Agree 100%. I recommend Burris Signature Rings on top of 'weaver type bases'.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html
    Also, the flexibility of these style of bases is another good reason for picking on a Remington style action for your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    +1 Picatinny spec is meant to be fully interchangeable: the slots are nominally 5mm wide with 10mm spacing. I've moved scopes from 3 different rifles with picatinny rails without having touched the rings. The thing with the scopes though is that either you need to keep track of the clicks between rifles or have big target turrets and record the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by mickthebrick View Post
    Thanks Jagare.

Looking at MidwayUK it appears you can get QD Warne Weaver rings in 1/2 or 30mm. Weaver bases for the A Bolt, either 1 piece or 2. Weaver rails with a CZ 16mm dovetail adapter on can be bought aswell....not sure where from yet though, none of these seem too expensive either, the Warne rings are the dearest at about £60.

Does anyone out there bother swapping scopes between rifles? Obviously it works out cheaper than 2 scopes but is it worth the bother?

Cheers
    Mick
    Horses for courses changing scopes between rifles but I wouldnt use Warner rings, ive seen some pretty horrible set ups using them, they are not concentric and need lapping or the scope could get crimped!
    Last edited by Jager SA; 17-03-2010 at 15:36.

Ok there are of course other options such as the Leupold Q/R mounts and rings they also do the QRW (Quick Release Weeaver type as wel. Then of course there is Apel and their various mounts . The Roll Offs DO return to zero as do the EAWswing mounts.

Basically you pays your money and takes your choice.

I don't happen to like those vertically spilt rings. Savage used to give away free rings of that type with their rifles at oen time. I picked up a set for free and they were horrible to set a scope up in. Nikko Sterling also supply these types with their new scopes. Basically it's because their cheap and easy to make out fo extrusions.

Warne (or similar) rings which split vertically are a real pain and need to be avoided. They are very difficult to machine or shim to better align the scope. They are high up my list of expensive mistakes and not really understanding how the technology worked.

I always thought Warne rings were considered to be ok! Are the Leupold QRW ones any better? They are a similar price but a different design.

Cheers
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickthebrick View Post
    I always thought Warne rings were considered to be ok! Are the Leupold QRW ones any better? They are a similar price but a different design.

Cheers
    Mick
    Leup are not much better but Ok.

Think of it like this, you spend the best part of a £1000 on a scope, well some folk do, then they (Dont mean you) go and buy inferior but not necessarily cheap mounts and bases, which are made of monkey metal could bugger the scope in a heartbeat!

Buy it once...cry once!
    Last edited by Jager SA; 18-03-2010 at 18:30.