Thread: Capston Winch

Capston Winch

A friend gave me a cement mixer which had rusted away with little use so I stripped the engine which has the reduction gearbox still bolted to it , got rid of stale petrol and cleaned the plug and bingo its purring on the bench like a kitten. Question is has anybody tried to turn them into a Capston winch, the output shaft is slow enough but is it to slow, needs a v pulley which I can make . Any thoughts. Thanks.

You would have to support the pulley,/ drum. The gearbox will not take the load. Or were you thinking of a v belt to the capstan drum?

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    You would have to support the pulley,/ drum. The gearbox will not take the load. Or were you thinking of a v belt to the capstan drum?
    Hi rodp , the engine and reduction gearbox are bolted to the same mounting frame with a v belt from the engine driving the R/ gearbox ,the main shaft from the R/ gearbox is the output shaft that the pulley will eventually be bolted to, so the engine and reduction gearbox are solid but will be bolted to a separate outer fabricated frame which will take the pressure of the gearbox. Think I will put up a picture to enlighting as I'm maybe not describing it well enough. Thanks.

I would think it would be about the right speed. (You can make the rope intake faster but fitting a larger diameter drum.)

Cheers,
    Jeff.

But will the bearing / casing of the gearbox take the load of the capstan drum when the rope goes tight, I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    But will the bearing / casing of the gearbox take the load of the capstan drum when the rope goes tight, I doubt it.
    I know what your saying- good point,It's a cast alloy casing so it wont be stong with a side pull weight , I will have to have the casing well supported.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I would think it would be about the right speed. (You can make the rope intake faster but fitting a larger diameter drum.)

Cheers,
    Jeff.
    It's not to far away but hopefully someone on here has tried it and can tell me different before I spend wasted hrs on something not fit for purpose. thanks jeff

bugsy have a word with Iain about the one I made for Inverroy it pulled him and a stag up the drag path out the coire

Quote Originally Posted by westrawdanny View Post
    bugsy have a word with Iain about the one I made for Inverroy it pulled him and a stag up the drag path out the coire
    Cheers danny al speak to him and see what he says , has he still got it or was it yours?.