Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single trigger to double trigger - easy transition?

Single trigger to double trigger - easy transition?

Morning all,

I am in the process of looking for a new side by side. Since I first started shooting I have always shot a single trigger gun, whether it was my over and under, semi-auto or my single trigger side by side.

As there is a greater availability of double trigger side by side shotguns I am wondering whether it is easy to get use to double triggers considering I have always used a single trigger?

Perhaps anyone on SD has made the transition?

Thanks in advance, Joe.

I've had problems going the other way around when I removed my finger from the single trigger to look for the rear one, and as it wasn't there, missed the chance of a second shot. But you adapt quickly, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I have both. To be honest, as far as practicality goes double triggers don't take much to get used to. And in real-life use they're not any disadvantage for typical shooting. My S/S has a double, and my O/U has a single trigger..........I don't think I've ever actually given it any though when shooting.

Just don't do what a novice friend of mine once did, and think that two triggers means a finger on each!!! He only did that once

Two or three boxes of cartridges at clays and you will soon get the hang of it. I've had the fun of going the other way. I use side by side and over and under with a double trigger. Also have a Rizzini over and under with single and used semi autos. I have to think a wee bit, but it's no different to say an auto mastic or non auto safety.

Going to to a side by side is probably easier as a side by side looks and feels very different so less brain scrambling.

In practice a double trigger is probably faster - front trigger is on the tip of your finger - fire a finger slips back onto the back trigger which can then be fired. With a single you have to release the trigger to reset it for the next barrel.

Single trigger side by sides are also available.

Single triggers on budget guns = trouble.
    As pointed out above,double triggers can be faster.
    You're doing the right thing and will love it when you get the hang of it.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Single triggers on budget guns = trouble.
    As pointed out above,double triggers can be faster.
    You're doing the right thing and will love it when you get the hang of it.
    I am looking to get a custom made William Powell, although to have a single selective trigger is an extra 1,100 - rather expensive I think. Hence, why I asked about the transition.. I guess it will take time and a fair amount of practice with the clays!

Quote Originally Posted by boulders11 View Post
    I am looking to get a custom made William Powell,
    Oh nice. That's not something I'd do as it's not a sensible thing to spend a load of money on when you're as unremarkable a shotgun shot as I. But good choice! I've noticed some of the old makers like William Powell and William Evans coming up with more "affordable" options that the previous "Best London" ones, mostly made in Spain or Italy but finished or assembled here, which shows a bit of commercial foresight. The positioning means that there is some sort of domestic market again, which there isn't really anymore for the 30-50k price bracket.

The William Powell continental range are made by Arrieta in Italy and like the Mcnab Highlander and Lowlander will struggle to hold their value in the near future.
    Do look at Berettas SBS as they are made in house and offer great value and of course a single trigger.

Regular Poster
    I had few problems when I bought a sbs with double triggers. Couple of embarrassing moments at the clay ground but 100 carts and I was ok with it.