Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Management Groups

Deer Management Groups

Has anyone here had any experience of setting up or running a deer management group? What are their legal status, are they private clubs, commercial organisations charities, or some other entity?

atb Tim

you can be set up is lots of different ways but what you are as an entity is all down to what you set out to be in your constitution, that's the important part. There needs to be consideration into membership and fees and what's in it for the members. You might aim to be a club who collects ground to shoot deer and other game providing paying guests the opportunity to shoot on your grounds, or a group that partners with land owners and other bodies like forestry companies to manage deer on their behalf using your group resources.

Thanks Paul, that's just the sort of information that I was looking for.

atb Tim

They are usualy set up by groups of landowners to co-ordinate the management of deer over a large area, the Deer Initiative is keen to help set them up in areas with problems, give them a ring. W.S.
    Walk little- look often .

Quote Originally Posted by woodland stalker View Post
    They are usualy set up by groups of landowners to co-ordinate the management of deer over a large area, the Deer Initiative is keen to help set them up in areas with problems, give them a ring. W.S.
    I did have some discussions with the Deer Initiative last year, unfortunately their advice seemed to be at variance to their published vision statement.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I did have some discussions with the Deer Initiative last year, unfortunately their advice seemed to be at variance to their published vision statement.

atb Tim
    thats a shame Tim,
    as I have always found the DI's input very valuable and knowledgeable in our area,
    the man that helps me out has a life time of experience with deer,
    you must be out of my area, have the IOW got there own DI person?

Tony

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Quote Originally Posted by cookingfat View Post
    thats a shame Tim,
    as I have always found the DI's input very valuable and knowledgeable in our area,
    the man that helps me out has a life time of experience with deer,
    you must be out of my area, have the IOW got there own DI person?

Tony
    Jamie Cordery is the DI liaison officer covering the Isle of Wight. I had the benefit of doing some very useful deer dog training with him last summer, I very much enjoyed the time spent with him.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Jamie Cordery is the DI liaison officer covering the Isle of Wight. I had the benefit of doing some very useful deer dog training with him last summer, I very much enjoyed the time spent with him.

atb Tim
    Thanks Tim for your answer,
    the same for me, Jammie has the best tracking dog in know of in the south and he is also Committee member of UKDTR, I am hoping that my young dog will achieve the same standard.

TL

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Tim, the North-Cotswolds Deer Management Group has now been going for almost three years: It is basically an unregulated informal group of Stalkers (approx 40) trying to work together on training, range days, team culls, and prospecting landowners to manage land on their behalf. We have no rules, no membership fee and no membership requirements. We have had some fantastic successes and some spectacular failures.
    The main issue we struggle with is the lack volunteers to take on specific small tasks, so 99% of the work is done by 10% of the Members.
    We have also had lots of problems with people putting their name down for an event, survey, count or cull and than not turning up or cancelling last minute.
    We have even had Members tipping off all their mates about an Estate we were talking to, resulting in lots of unsolicited approaches to those Estate owners and neighbours, once the word got out.
    We have had some very unexpected opposition from very well known Stalkers which has surprised us but not stopped us developing the Group.
    This year is going to be make or break: Either more people step forwards to help and put some kind of structure in place, or the Group will fold.
    From a personal point of view it has helped me enormously, I now have a network of some 15 stalkers I know and trust and would be happy to invite back on my land when I need help and Vice Versa, and being a Member of the Group has helped me obtaining a few superb permissions. As a Group we have started the process of eliminating the envy, jelousy, secrecy and land-pinching which according to some stalkers is rife in the stalking world.
    I will send you a PM with my contact details if you would like a chat.

Wishing you good luck with your plans.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Account Suspended
    I've acquired permissions on a total of 200 acres in Kent and West Sussex. Mainly Fallow with some Muntjac and Roe.
    I've shared this with a number of Stalkers who have no stalking of their own. I do it because stalkers helped me learn about stalking on their land and I want to put something back. I'm now setting up DeermanagementSuss to acquire more land and get more stalkers involved. I need to cull about 20 deer to achieve the cull in my area. My problem is some stalkers who feel that they're doing me a favour when I invite them. They either let me down or don't respond to invites.
    If people have taken the time to gain DSC1 and are insured then I'm prepared to give them a stalk. They might have to sit in a high seat and be accompanied but they won't need to pay anything. Help in clearing rides and maintaining and building highseats is always appreciated