Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doe with antlers

Doe with antlers

While this newspaper is not reknown for its coverage of deer stalking, an interesting article about a deer mutation - a doe with antlers. SD has other stories (2009/10) of antlered does from a quick search but I never knew about them - for interest....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/oh-deer-...EditorsPicks_1

Had the pleasure of inviting another sd member for a stalk to gain experience at the tail end of last year. He shot a doe and when inspecting the carcase we noticed she was growing antlers apart from that she was in prime condition and plenty of covering on her when dressed out. You can check the photos out in the write ups under geth

I shot a doe around 5 years ago it had golf ball sized Antlers and a friend if mine also around 10 years ago with more developed antlers

I shot a roe doe whilst out with Stone around 5 years ago that had small rudimentary antlers (...he was as surprised as I was!); apart from that, she was in fine fettle.

I didn't keep the skull at the time, and I've been kicking myself ever since.....doh!! (doe??!?!?)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Taken 3 does with antlers over the years....One was pregnant with twins...

Shot a few over the years, can't remember any of their female offspring having signs of antlers. Could it be one of those things that miss a generation?

Al

Shot one a few years ago. Pregnant when we gralloched her.
    It's more a function of liver malfunction than a mutation. All mammalian females produce testosterone along with the female hormones (oestrogen). In females the testosterone is destroyed by the liver and oestrogen is always the controlling hormone. As the mammal ages and/or the liver function declines the testosterone levels rise relative to oestrogen. Male characteristics begin to appear. This is the same reason why old women grow facial hair.
    Simple mammalian endocrine chemistry.

Well explained, thanks for posting.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    All mammalian females produce testosterone along with the female hormones (oestrogen). In females the testosterone is destroyed by the liver and oestrogen is always the controlling hormone. As the mammal ages and/or the liver function declines the testosterone levels rise relative to oestrogen. Male characteristics begin to appear. This is the same reason why old women grow facial hair.
    Simple mammalian endocrine chemistry.
    That could explain why my missus wears the trousers around here!

I've seen 3 in nearly 40 years and they all came from the same patch of ground over a 20 year period. Their horns were very small and light, very porous, with no colour, presumably because they're not behaving like bucks and fraying. I may be wrong but I feel that they're not casting these, I quite like the liver explanation, it makes sense.