Any cattle farmers/small beef producers on here?

stratts

I have the chance of some beef from a lady who rears her own cattle where i work and was wondering if this deal is generally ok and what cuts of beef would be best.

Basically she will do a £50 pack of around 14-15lb in weight of any cuts of beef I like, be it all steaks, or a mixture of roasting joints, steaks etc? I'm not big on which are the best beef joints so I thought about getting a load of rump steaks at 8oz each and topside roasting joints.

I've already had half a pig off her which is very nice so even if it's slightly over the odds cost wise I'd rather have good quality meat for the money!

What ya reckon guys?

Stratts

Quality not quantity,if you chose what you want all the better.
roughly £8 a kilo seems a good deal to me.

Will be slaughtering our own beef tis time next year and I've calculated something like £7.50 to £8 per kilo.
10kilo or just over 22lb box @ £75.

I prefer a fore rib on the bone as a roasting joint .. much more flavour than topside or silverside but remember that it doesn`t take much in joints to make 15lbs.
Steak is very much a personal taste thing but Rump is my preference.

£50 pack of around 14-15lb sounds good to me.

Brisket one of the best flavour, if it was me I would offer to have the cheaper joints and more of them for the same price, brisket, stewing steaks, and mince. Remember if buyin rib of beef on the bone you don,t get much.

The price of live cattle is high just now so I would say grab it whilst you can. Go for the popes eye and sirloin steaks, salmon cut for roasting. Make sure it's a prime beast and not an old mincing coo

Quality not quantity,if you chose what you want all the better.
roughly £8 a kilo seems a good deal to me.

Will be slaughtering our own beef tis time next year and I've calculated something like £7.50 to £8 per kilo.
10kilo or just over 22lb box @ £75.
Put one back for me Gelert!:D
Sounds good to me if you get down to Devon again.
Cheers
Richard

try putting cuts of beef in google normally get a picture of the beast and all the cuts or have a llok at John Torrodes beef book.

We get about $1.80 a kg live weight, which is about 90 pence I guess live weight. Hot carcass weight would be double. We can get local butchers to kill & cut an entire beast into various cuts & bag it all & mince what is left for $150, & they keep the skin which will fetch about $80 if in ok condition.

It's not uncommon for these things to also make up part of the remuneration for farm hands. For example a farm labourer may receive free rent & utilities, a tank of fuel each week for his/her vehicle, half a sheep a month, & half a cow per six months on top of his/her basic wages.

If we could even get $3 (1.5 pounds) per kg live weight , our cattle industry would take off.

Sharkey

Back