.222 55 and 50gr effectiveness on roe

Mungo

Does anyone have experience shooting roe deer with both 55gr and 50gr bullets in .222?

And did they notice any clear differences in outcomes/effectiveness?

Does anyone have experience shooting roe deer with both 55gr and 50gr bullets in .222?

And did they notice any clear differences in outcomes/effectiveness?

No difference at all. Load 55grn and 50 grn depends wat local shop has when i need and they both work as gd as each other.

I started with Privi PPU 50gr and some sako gamehead 55gr
apart from average accuracy I am not sure there is a difference in terminal result but I did not use them enough to draw anything conclusive from the two weights.

less than 20f/s difference in the lower weight in factory loads
so in energy terms I would choose the heavier if available

I went for 60gr!
that's what real men shoot in their .222's!

I went for 60gr!
that's what real men shoot in their .222's![/QUOTE]

Haha i like that quote. Real men use 60grn.

interesting
can do better than that.

we can work up a load that does group rather than "suck and see" with factory or my current loads.

txt on way

Would you be willing to let me have a couple to see how they group? Part of the reason I ask is that 55gr don't group as well with the current rifle, and I'm looking for alternatives.

What kind heads? Powder? Charges you using.

What kind heads? Powder? Charges you using.

Factory loads: Sako 55gr soft points.

Have never really had perfect groups with them, but current rifle groups worse than previous one did, and they are now on the borderline of what I'm comfortable with.

Have never really had perfect groups with them, but current rifle groups worse than previous one did, and they are now on the borderline of what I'm comfortable with.

yeah thats the only factory ammo ive tryed and was fine with me. My mate uses norma and gets good groups with them. Worth a try?

never like them personally
couldn't get on with them in either .222 or .243

The sako rounds?

The 100gr are hopeless in my .243. The 90grs are extremely good - best groups I've had in .243 (equal with federal 70gr ballistic tips). But! They are rather hard, and don't expand terribly well on smaller animals.

Next up for the .243 are some hornady 95gr SSTs. Possibly the opposite problem to the sakos...

The book speed for my load is around 3100 fps, so not crazy fast in the grand scheme of things, but getting pretty hot for the .222

The roe shown in the photo didn't go very far, shot placement is key :D

I have found it's performance over quite a high number of roe to be rather agreeable :D

Last edited:

dont say that ive just picked some up for use on roe hoping they do a little better than the privvis and they are not too shabby in mine,

The sako rounds?

The 100gr are hopeless in my .243. The 90grs are extremely good - best groups I've had in .243 (equal with federal 70gr ballistic tips). But! They are rather hard, and don't expand terribly well on smaller animals.

yep Sako Gamehead
55gr Sako in .222 were over an inch, somewhere between 1-2" at best
100gr Sako in .243 was more like 4"! (100gr interlock homeloads by contrast were 1/4-1/2"!)

Has anyone used a 50gr ballistic tip - like the federal vital shok - on roe?

I'd expect them to be too messy and be very poor at penetrating - but would be interested to hear if anyone has actual experience.

Back