Thread: Heym SR21 or Varberger 711

Heym SR21 or Varberger 711

If you have experience of both, which would you pick and why?

Looking at both makes at the moment. Price is the same, condition is the same (both good used condition), calibre is the same and both wood and blue (which I like).

Experience of these? Accuracy, reliability, build quality?

JS
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

I have no experience of Varberger, but have a Heym SR21 in .308 (24" barrel, not screw cut).

It is an absolutely superb rifle. It is very well made, with excellent fit and finish and feels very robust - I have every intention of keeping it for the rest of my life. It is well balanced and fits me perfectly, to the extent that I don't notice any more recoil from it than I do from a .222 (I am 5'10", with shortish arms). Very nice, crisp trigger. It is fearsomely accurate - will shoot touching holes at 100m with 150gr factory ammo. It is probably heavier than current fashions prefer, but I like that.

However, it is not perfect. The magazine release mechanism is poorly designed, and can jam. You cannot top load. The safety catch is awkwardly placed, inconvenient to use and confusingly marked - the red dot is still visible even when Safe. However, this is compensated by the fact that the safety blocks the firing pin. It is a (minor) ball ache finding mounts that fit properly.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mungo; 13-01-2015 at 16:03.

I have had the pleasure to own both the Varberger in 7x57mm and of course the Heym SR21 in .308win.
    Both of these rifles were accurate and extremly well made and both were wood/blued and of course the overall build quality on both rifles I have to say I feel was excellent. The Varberger was a little heavier and seemed bigger all round.
    In your situation however there is only one winner overall and that is the Heym. For some unknown reason the Varberger is not or rather does not seem to be popular and those that are for sale seem to have been on the market for a while.
    Good luck with your purchase and I am sure you will pick the best one for you.
    The ORDNANCE QF 18 pounder Field Gun......I wonder if they will let me have one of these on an open ticket

I've also owned both makes, and I think there is very little difference between them. Both are 'classic' sporting rifles, well made, accurate and reliable. I'd agree that the Varberger feels more solid, but is still well balanced and very point able; it also had one of the best trigger I've used - it was like snapping a glass rod.

I love my varberger ive never owned a heym but as said the triggers are fantastic i like the mag and the all around build of the rifle and groups as good as my blaser (and is out more) but resale could be a problem as they are fairly unknown

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    I love my varberger ive never owned a heym but as said the triggers are fantastic i like the mag and the all around build of the rifle and groups as good as my blaser (and is out more) but resale could be a problem as they are fairly unknown
    Thanks for the feedback from all, I guess your response b&d nails it for me. I dont intend to resale, like the fact its unusual and enjoy the engineering in the Varberger - though Heym is no doubt just as well engineered.
    Might just be the varberger then!
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.