Thread: Kawasaki Quad

Kawasaki Quad

Basically are they any good ? Seen a few for sale recently (KLF 300) and just wondered what they are like, Would like a Honda Foreman but bit out my price range, only looking to spend 1200 - 1500 (or less if i can) so mainly looking at the reliability side of things.
    Anybody got one or use one ?

Hi Robb
    My experience with a KLF 300 4x4 was not good. Chassis rotted to bits very quickly and the auto clutch was a PITA. I would think that one in that price range will probably need some work done. However others experience of these machines could well differ.

I think the KLF300 was 2 wheel drive which limits it, having said that My first quad was 2WD on flat land it would but if it saw a greasy hill . I now have a KLF350 never had any cause to complain it goes every where I need to go and has never failed to start and is used to retrieve roe its much easier than carrying them,it also pulls a small trailor round the shoot full of corn every Sunday morning. I've had it for about 7years now

I picked up a Polaris 500 4 wd for 1100 on gumtree its awsome
    check them out
    Cheers
    Ray

Of the 4 big Jap manufacturers, (Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki) my experience is that the Kawasaki ones are the worst in respect of usability and longevity. Any of the others are good. So are Polaris and Arctic Cat aren't too bad it seems (no first hand experience there though). Generally I'd steer clear of the other makes, which are cheaper but for a reason.

I don't know what your intended use is, but it's possible the 300 may be a little under powered. To be honest, buying any quad bike over a few years old, condition is everything. You may prefer a Honda, but if there's a better condition Suzuki or Yamaha, they'd be the better bet for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Of the 4 big Jap manufacturers, (Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki) my experience is that the Kawasaki ones are the worst in respect of usability and longevity. Any of the others are good. So are Polaris and Arctic Cat aren't too bad it seems (no first hand experience there though). Generally I'd steer clear of the other makes, which are cheaper but for a reason.

I don't know what your intended use is, but it's possible the 300 may be a little under powered. To be honest, buying any quad bike over a few years old, condition is everything. You may prefer a Honda, but if there's a better condition Suzuki or Yamaha, they'd be the better bet for example.
    I've got to agree with Pedro . As you can imagine , quads are very common out here and through friends and my own experiences I get to see a lot of machines in almost daily use . The Kawis do not have a good reputation for reliability or durability . I have to qualify that by saying these machines are used under working conditions . They're being used by employees who tend to drive the guts out of company equipment . The average guy will usually never put those kind of hours on their machines or under those conditions , but it does give you a better idea which machines can take hard use ( Hondas by the way , I've used them for over 30 years in one form or another ) and still keep working .

I'd also agree with going up in engine displacement , a bigger machine doesn't have to work as hard as a smaller one and will usually last longer . And finally , condition is everything . I'd buy a well treated Kawi before a beat Foreman . The Polaris is a good machine but tend to have some over heating problems on some models . Most of the guys I know that use them install after market oil coolers on them . My brother has one and it's an amazingly powerful quad , but for what he paid for it , it'd better be lol . If it were me , I'd look for an older Honda that's in decent shape and put some work into it . Honda parts are , on average , cheaper and more available ,they are here at least . It all depends on how much work you can do yourself . One of the biggest things I've learned to look for is bent or cracked frames , they're more common than most people realize . I hope this helps .

AB

I'll have to go against the grain then, I use a kawasaki 360 and have been for 7 years now.
    It has never had a problem, has no rust and does everything asked of it, including towing a ton of ballast
    across a waterlogged field and up and down a couple of steepish banks last weekend, 5 trips in all.
    Every task it has been set it has done with never a complaint, granted it isn't being used by loads of different
    riders, just me, but it is hard worked either towing fairly heavy loads, or being used to drag fallen trees and pull
    stumps with the over size winch. I would without hesitation buy another if this was to go missing.

Neil.

You should be able to pick up the likes of a half-decent used Big Red (Honda) or Suzuki Eiger for that sort of money. The Suzuki Eiger in particular is a great machine, for my money