Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full length sizing vs neck sizing?

Full length sizing vs neck sizing?

More reading of reloading manuals raises more questions. I understand that full length resizing of cases is necessary when you take brass fired in another gun to bring it back to specification. However, if you are using brass fired from your own gun for reloading, I understand this to be 'fire formed' to your own chamber. Is there a reason to full length resize this brass or would you normally just neck resize?

Thanks.

Neck sizing should in-theory give you greater accuracy - and doesn't require case lubrication. If you use the brass enough though, I have been warned it will need FL resizing eventually.

You can reload pretty well with a fairly cheap Lee Loader which only neck sizes. That's how I load and my ammunition seems to work fine (after going through some teething problems caused by my own ignorance).

Neck sizing is generally seen as the preferred way to go as it prolongs the life of the brass and does improve accuracy. It is easier and quicker for reloading and avoids (or should do) the risk of a stuck case (always a chance with FL sizing).
    As with most rules in life there's always exceptions.
    I have 2 308s (Sauer & Steyr) and as long as I keep the brass separate can get away with just neck sizing. The Sauer will use any once fired brass if I neck size it but the Steyr always needs a FL then I can get away with neck only.
    My 243 on the other hand has to be FL every time as the neck needs to be bumped back a touch otherwise the round is tight as hell to cam the bolt in.
    If you can get away with NS only then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
    More reading of reloading manuals raises more questions. I understand that full length resizing of cases is necessary when you take brass fired in another gun to bring it back to specification. However, if you are using brass fired from your own gun for reloading, I understand this to be 'fire formed' to your own chamber. Is there a reason to full length resize this brass or would you normally just neck resize?

Thanks.
    Full length resizing every time is the way to go. Myths abound about neck sizing. Ignore them and respect your quarry and rifle. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by stecad View Post
    My 243 on the other hand has to be FL every time as the neck needs to be bumped back a touch otherwise the round is tight as hell to cam the bolt in.
    If you can get away with NS only then go for it.
    Shoulder

Neck sizing will help brass last longer, less stress on the case over its full length. Its also faster and easier on your press.

James

Like most queries regarding reloading there never seems to be a definitive answer, very confusing for those wishing to learn!

I posed this very question only a week or back & the general consensus was that the advantages to be had from neck-sizing only were minimal fro the average shooter. I intend to full-length resize & be done with it. I think it was Muir who mentioned that too much thinking would just scramble your brain & it was easiest just to keep things simple. Good advice that I for one intend to stick to

Full length resizing with bushed neck tension

k
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I found that I was getting inconsistent neck tension with neck sizing, so I FL size all my brass now.