Tikka expert required

Thanks for replying boys and sorry for the delay in responding , but I'm on night shift on a North Sea rig. Right then here goes. I don't have a problem, just an identification query. I've just got a M55 in .308 which from what I've seen in old adverts on tinterweb is a deluxe. It has the rounded rosewood fore end with the white spacer (Ivory?) but it has a very heavy barrel in a kind of browny/purple colour blueing. It's screw cut and 23". There's no sign of the open sight fixing points that the ones I've seen had, although these were sporter barrels. It has the large tactical style round bolt knob. Weaver rails (not sure what size, I'm sorting mounts out for the S&B 8x56 when I get home) short action which feels beautiful and single stage trigger , again lovely. Has a very nice comb and chunky palm swell and pistol grip. Any ideas? I've heard rumours of a limited run with this bolt knob and barrel, but that was a brief comment on a US forum.

At a guess

- could be a different stock
- I doubt it would come with a tactical knob with above stock
- probably been threaded afterwards

what rig you on ?

Thanks for replying boys and sorry for the delay in responding , but I'm on night shift on a North Sea rig. Right then here goes. I don't have a problem, just an identification query. I've just got a M55 in .308 which from what I've seen in old adverts on tinterweb is a deluxe. It has the rounded rosewood fore end with the white spacer (Ivory?) but it has a very heavy barrel in a kind of browny/purple colour blueing. It's screw cut and 23". There's no sign of the open sight fixing points that the ones I've seen had, although these were sporter barrels. It has the large tactical style round bolt knob. Weaver rails (not sure what size, I'm sorting mounts out for the S&B 8x56 when I get home) short action which feels beautiful and single stage trigger , again lovely. Has a very nice comb and chunky palm swell and pistol grip. Any ideas? I've heard rumours of a limited run with this bolt knob and barrel, but that was a brief comment on a US forum.
It's a standard Tikka M55 'Continental' HB which had the Deluxe stock. I don't follow your colour description, but the HB barrel if original (stamped TIKKA in italics) should be 24.5"/620mm in length (tip to the halfway point of the receiver ring). The same stock was fitted to the Deluxe Sporter which were of course much more common.

Hi Mark, it's definitely the m55 deluxe stock which was made from 69 to early 80s I believe. The large knob (fnar fnar!) was made for Nordic use ie cold weather gloves etc. Screw cut was as you said most likely a later edition . I be heard that Bofers made the early barrels.

I have an m65 in 308 , it has the large bolt knob but has the competition stock which is adjustable and a fluted barrel . odd sort of thing as it's a long action but in .308 so the mag is fitted with a spacer at the rear to keep the 308 cartridges forward . A spare mag would be nice but I accept impossible to find.

My 223 is a M55 Master Sporter with the big bolt knob, accessory rails & adjustable comb on the stock. - For its vintage very advanced & very well made! The original barrel was a light weight straight taperd varmint profile.-- It's currently away having a new barrel fitted as the old one was at the end of a very hard life! - It's had many thousands of rounds up it - a lot of those on quick fire disciplines!
Danny - just enjoy yours - they are as good a rifle as any made today!

Ian

So maybe a little bit rare then? Any idea on twist rate? New t3s are 1:11 I think, as I'm considering chopping to 20" I shall now attempt to put some pics up! Ps I'm on the Atlantic Rotterdam rig.

That looks quite nice , after seeing the pics it does all seem to look right

you you don't see many rifles stocks with names engraved in them

p.s Ive spent quite a ibt of time on and off on Balmoral

It had to come out or change my name! Cuprinol garden shades and clear matt ronseal varnish! So it's the continental is it? I take it you mean the rig and not the estate!

If early it will have Bofors on the barrel.

Its not that rare and the alterations made to the stock haven't increased its value - (don't take that the wrong way)

Circa 350 - 500 for a working, accurate rifle with good barrel.

Back