17 hmr scope

Wylyetom

Hi, i know that i have used this site to inquire about a scope for this caliber before, but a member on this site has a Swarvoski 8x50 Habicht illuminated for sale, as i have a fixed 8x56 Schmidt on my deer rifle,and being a fan of the simple point and shoot of a fixed i do like the idea, just wondereing whether it would be suitable for a 17hmr used for rabbits, i look forward to your experienced views. kind regards Tom[h=2][/h]

Hi, i know that i have used this site to inquire about a scope for this caliber before, but a member on this site has a Swarvoski 8x50 Habicht illuminated for sale, as i have a fixed 8x56 Schmidt on my deer rifle,and being a fan of the simple point and shoot of a fixed i do like the idea, just wondereing whether it would be suitable for a 17hmr used for rabbits, i look forward to your experienced views. kind regards Tom

On my HMR I've had a cheap Hawke 3-12x56, Leupold M8 fixed 10x and currently a Burris 6.5-20x50.

I found the Hawke a bit too cheap and blurry especially over 100m, the Leupold was superb for shots over 100m in daylight, brilliant glass and a super fine reticle that allowed perfect shot placement but under a lamp you could barely see it. Also when moving into the woods to shoot squirrels the 10x mag was too much. I've yet to zero the Burris but I am expecting it to do all I need from squirrels in the woods to longer range rabbits and corvids, end with the E1 reticle I should be able to use the lines for holdover at different ranges.

On the majority of shots (40m-120m) I imagine the 8x56 will be fine and the quality of glass will be a real asset in low light and under a lamp and if you like it on your other rifle then go for it. The only limitation I could see is if you start wanting to shoot further with the HMR then more mag may be wanted and if you decide to go down the NV route in the future then the lack of paralax adjustment and quality coatings on the lenses may hamper you.

Given the capabilities of the ballistic phenomenon that is the HMR, you really seem to need a scope with minimum 24x on the top end to make best use of it's awesomeness.

That or I have a Meopta 7x50 on mine that I'll sell for £250...

Well yes it will do
but if you are shooting from a rest or bipod with a 17hmr then a 16x or 20x will give you
a better view and more precision for a small target like a rabbit or a squirrel at longer ranges.
........wind it down for shorter range off hand shooting.

I have a relatively cheap hawke 5 to 16 mag. It has an illuminated mil dot. Its perfect for rabbits out to about 150 metres

I like 6-20 on my hmr , had fixed x6 x10 and all good scopes but for me I like variable mag , a rabbits head/birds aren't that massive at 100 + so any extra aid I will accept, many people have opinoins on hmr and scopes , me I go with what suits me and that's a nice variable , currently a monarch ucc
Rgds
Craig

I've just taken an 2-8x scope off my HMR as it wasn't enough for shooting rabbits at distance. I've upgraded to a 4-12x which should be perfect...

Will be dropping my 10-50 x 56 ex FT scope on my .17HMR when I get it as its sitting doing nothing and isn't going to be suitable for a Deer cal rifle

Hi Woodlander,

I have around £600, hopefully this should get me a good quality scope with a reasonable range of magnification.

Hi Woodlander,

I have around £600, hopefully this should get me a good quality scope with a reasonable range of magnification.

I love 8x mag and never use anything else on other rifles, however on a .17hmr i frequently find myself taking shots over 150 yards, and in that case 8x mag is just not enough IMO!

£600 is quite a lot of money for a rimfire scope, but if youve got the money spend it eh?!

Ive got a bushnell 6500 elite 2.5-16x42 mildot you can have for £600! :D:D:D:D

Just stick a 7x50 meopta on it thats what i use these no messing about with zoom and px just point a shoot the 17hmr has got the trajectory of a laser any way

Back