Polish for Blued Barrels

Jim xyz

Hi All,

Being a sad individual on these dark and blustery nights I tend to spend a bit to time polishing the stocks on my guns and rifles. However the barrels get nothing more than a quick wipe down as some of the blueing is starting to wear as it is and I don want to wear any more of it away.

What do other people use to clean/polish barrels and is there anything that will improve the look of and/or protect the blueing?

While I'm at it I've got an old sidelock and at some point in the past someone has rubbed an area of one of the barrels presumably to remove a bit of surface rust and it now has a definite thin spot on the blueing. It's not worth getting the barrels re-blued as I only paid a couple of hundred for the gun but otherwise it's really nice and I'd like to do something to sort it.

Any suggestions from old wives tales to snake oils appreciated, as long as they work.

Many thanks,

Jim

I use Renaissance wax, this is a clear wax which is lightly spread on and buffed, it forms a hard clear protective surface and was specially developed to be used for such a purpose, it is used by museums to protect firearms, swords and all sorts of items, eg It can be used on wood, and even paper!

I bought a small tub at a knife show, it goes a long way. A quick search online will show a number of online retailers, for those interested, here is a link.

www.Picreator.co.uk | Materials for Professional Restoration and Conservation

Last edited:
I have some renaissance wax but if the gun is going into the gun case for a while I apply a liberal coating of ACF 50 and wipe the gun down next time I take it out.
I have been considering getting some long ladies socks - my good lady calls them "Hooker socks", in polyester just to slip over the top of the barrels as so called Barrel socks are around £20 each and a pair of these socks are about a fiver at TKMaxx

I have some renaissance wax but if the gun is going into the gun case for a while I apply a liberal coating of ACF 50 and wipe the gun down next time I take it out.
I have been considering getting some long ladies socks - my good lady calls them "Hooker socks", in polyester just to slip over the top of the barrels as so called Barrel socks are around £20 each and a pair of these socks are about a fiver at TKMaxx

"Officer - I was merely driving up and down in an attempt to purchase some socks from these ladies"

Back