Thread: Thread Protector

Thread Protector

I wonder if any one can set my mind at rest. I have a M14x1 threaded .308 and don't have the cash to put the intended SL5 on it yet. However it has a thread protector which is fine but is not long enough for the thread. I know there are barrel harmonics and such so my question is this: Do I screw it right down to the bottom of the threads or does it not matter. I'd rather protect the end threads and until the Mod is funded I don't think screwing it down tight before each shot is practicable. Might be nothing but if anyone has an opinion or experience I'd be pleased to hear it. Happy to replace it if that would be better?

Replace it if it's short , if you can't nip it up to the shoulder and have all the threads covered what's the point having a short loose thread protector

My thread protector is just s mill or two longer than the muzzle so it offers a little bit of protection to the crown IF it got dropped

I don't think you need to worry about harmonics

Maybe you could use a nylon washer or a couple of "O" rings to fill the gap for the time being...

Alan

I think I will replace it with one a couple of mil longer. Thanks for the advice. "O" rings might do it but I think I will get it replaced. I am worried it will be too long for a mod but time (and funds) will tell.

Best option would be to replace it with the correct size
    Another option would be put some plumbers tape around the threads about 4-5 laps around should do it then screw the protector on, this will stop it working loose so you could get away with not screwing it right down
    Wingy

May sound like a stupid question but where do most people get their thread protectors from? Gunshops, gunsmiths or ask an engineering place to knock one up?

SL5 mods come with a thread protector in the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackselby3000 View Post
    I wonder if any one can set my mind at rest. I have a M14x1 threaded .308 and don't have the cash to put the intended SL5 on it yet. However it has a thread protector which is fine but is not long enough for the thread. I know there are barrel harmonics and such so my question is this: Do I screw it right down to the bottom of the threads or does it not matter. I'd rather protect the end threads and until the Mod is funded I don't think screwing it down tight before each shot is practicable. Might be nothing but if anyone has an opinion or experience I'd be pleased to hear it. Happy to replace it if that would be better?
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't, teach it.

It looks like by far and away the best thing to do is to stump up for an SL5... Hmmm what can I sell?

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    May sound like a stupid question but where do most people get their thread protectors from? Gunshops, gunsmiths or ask an engineering place to knock one up?
    The one on my .22 came from Bushwear (pressie from one of the kids), and the other came from the RFD who my .243 was delivered to - he had just made a batch on his lathe, so popped a courtesy one on the end of my barrel.

I had one made by Mat on this site. Doubly fun as I had literally no idea what the thread was. He worked out from the measurements and photos I took that it was M15x1 spigot. Nice little piece of SS, and cost was very reasonable. Suggest you PM him.

Guy