Choice of .243 or 6.5 x55... opinions please. I'm having difficulty deciding

6.5x55 every time. I've had two .243's and a 6.5x55 now and I hate the .243 for deer. It's rubbish compared to the 6.5. If you wanted a fox/deer gun I might say .243 because of the bullets weights available, but if you're getting a .22 of some sort too I wouldn't touch the .243 with a pole!
+1

Keep your heavy .308 for the range and get a lighter .308 for deer, all of 'em. It depends how many rifles you want to end up with; me? I'm firmly in the "the more rifles I've got, the happier I am" camp.
For vermin, either .223 or 22-250, but, as has been said, the .22-250 falls foul of many ranges' velocity limits.

I had the same choice this week. Ditched the 308 (in reality I am not going to be shooting boar and any red is more unlikely than likely). So what to buy? Everyone will have their viewpoint. Taking a look at this YouTube clip left me feeling happy with the 243 sako I picked up along with a couple of boxes of 90gr Sako rounds.

Kasandra Cow elk 688yds.mp4 - YouTube

Keep your heavy .308 for the range and get a lighter .308 for deer, all of 'em. It depends how many rifles you want to end up with; me? I'm firmly in the "the more rifles I've got, the happier I am" camp.
For vermin, either .223 or 22-250, but, as has been said, the .22-250 falls foul of many ranges' velocity limits.

Spot on!!!

No need to purchase new bloomers!!! A heavy 308 for those occasional sniper missions and a lightweight version for stalking.

SS

ive got 223 ive never looked at a 243 so im not making any comparisons and ive just ordered a 6,5x55,ps i still have a 308 slot free for later when i trip over a wallet in the street!,:cool: atb doug

It's easy. Go to your local gun shop and ask the person behind the counter to show you the ammo and reloading components they have in both cartridges, plus the prices.

Then buy the rifle that you can most easily get ammo and components for and that will be the least expensive to feed. This will leave you the maximum time and money for getting out stalking and will, therefore, increase the number of deer you kill. This is probably the only aspect of cartridge choice that will have any impact upon the deer you actually get to shoot.

+1

This is by far the most sensible and objective reply in the thread.

After four pages of yet another thread debating the choice between two calibers, both of which would do the job specified, I am convinced that these threads follow a defined pattern with the discussion ending up polarised into two camps.

First are those who are almost invariably proponents for what they already have in their gun cabinets, regardless of whether or not they have experience of the competition. So it should come as no surprise that those with the 6.5x55 are telling you how great they are, nor that those with 243's will do the same. Why would you expect any different?

Then there are those who will tell you both your considered options are rubbish, and that you would do far better acquiring a rifle (in sometimes alarmingly obscure calibers) that they themselves were convinced to invest in (perhaps during a moment of weakness). Again, why would you expect any different? You can throw into this camp those who propose that you buy another rifle in the same caliber you already have - obviously you bought the wrong rifle specification the first time round, dummy, so now go out and buy the right one. If you do target, varmint, deer, boar and every other type of rifle shooting, perhaps having multiple rifles in the same caliber makes sense, but do you? If you want to build a collection of rifles that rarely get used that's entirely your perogative of course.

Otherwise caorach's advice seems eminently sensible.

Hi nick went through same issues few years back. My decision was keep the 308 for big long range stuff but also I do use it for woodland high seat shooting. Find I get less meat damage with the big and slow bullets. I went for the 6.5x55 again slow round less damage but more importantly very accurate and has given me confidence to take head shots where all you can see is a set of eyes and ears above the bracken. I also got a 223. Cheap to run very accurate and good for all vermin big enough for foxes but not too big for 300yd bunnies.
Im not far away from you if you want to chat pm me.

BE

Spot on!!!

No need to purchase new bloomers!!! A heavy 308 for those occasional sniper missions and a lightweight version for stalking.

SS

+1
or get the barrel changed to a lighter/medium 308
for general deer stalking the 308 is overall a better cartridge than 243 or 6.5x55
edi

Hi Nick, got a cabinet full and do agree with the comments by willie gun.
308/6.5 & 243, have them all (44 Mag & 375 HH) and they all kill if pointed correctly. Out with the 308 on fallow earlier this year and pulled the shot. Lost confidence in the rifle so took the 243 to Scotland and dropped 2 beasts at 200 yards. Took some stick from my mate (270) that I'd brought a girls gun - soon changed his tune when he saw the pics.
They'll all do the job. 308 and 243 is a better combo if you're reloading as some components are the same but this really is a marginal call if you have to have a new toy. I do find the 6.5 does more meat damage on roe but it is a great round to shoot.
Just built a light weight, short barrel 308 woodland stalking rifle. No moderator. The plan was to stay with 308 but the cases (neck size only) are not interchangeable between the Sauer and Steyr. Lots of things to consider but life's too short. Buy the rifle that takes your eye and get out and learn how to shoot it.

More important than calibre is choice of bullet. A solidly constructed 243 or 6.5 mm bullet that penetrates through the vitals and leaving a good wound channel will result in dead deer every time, even if shot is slightly off and hits big shoulder bones / muscle. Use a rapidly expanding bullet and hit the shoulder bone you have a deer with a broken shoulder, but no damage to vitals and it will go a long way. Gut shot is gut shot and even a 416 mega blaster won't put it down.

I have both the .243 Win and the 6.5 Swede and think that the 6.5 has the edge. With 85gn projectiles it will detonate a fox out to whoop whoop ,at 3300fps it is a fairly flat shooter and ignores wind that upset the little .243 pills.. Loaded to modern levels in a good rifle, the 140gn Interlocks or larger will deck most deer. A 6.5 is a pretty good all rounder.

Back