Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: .204 vs .223

  1. #1

    .204 vs .223

    Hi

    Im looking for advice on the .204 ruger and your experience with it against the .223.

    Im leaning toward the 204 because ive read it has less recoil and seemly you get to see your shot placement, and its suppose to be alot more accurate than the 223 and quiter than the 223 when both are fitted with a mod. Im finding it hard to come across a nice second hand one here in Ireland. I was after a cz 527 with the varmint barrel but i may have to order a new as they dont seem to be around. But my other concern is if i dont like the 204 i wont get much of a return on it as its not a very popular round towards the 223. So im thinking if the 204 is all this and that why is the .223 more popular??

    Is the 32 grain bullet just to light for foxes at long ranges?? is that why people go 223??


    I just dont know which to go for....so i would really appreciate to hear peoples opinions and More so their experiences with the Above Calibres.

    Thanks in Advance


    Night Bandit

  2. #2
    OMG what have you started!

    Ok, here is my thoughts, I feel I can comment on these question as I have both a .204 Ruger and a .223 Ackley Improved, both two totally different rifles designed for different things. (Both custom rifles)

    Firstly my .223AI shoot very high BC bullets for long range shooting (80 Grain Amax) I only tend to shoot this rifle at vermin and targets out past 300 yards out to 1000 yards.

    The .204 is a awesome cartridge for vermin and out to 350 yards it is without doubt my go to rifle. They shoot super flat, hit like a steam train and are very good in the wind despite their light bullets. The do have good bullet BC for that weight range of bullet too. Manufacture published BC's are OTT though from mine and several other peoples experience and real life testing in the field.
    They are good in the wind dude to decent BC combined with high MV's, expect 3700-3850 ftps from 30/40 grain bullets (Reloaded), mine pushes a 39 grain SBK at 3750 ftps, with awesome accuracy. 32 grain bullets around 4000 ftps.

    The thing to remember that speed/velocities is king out to 300-350 yards then after that range bullet BC come into play more.

    If you reload you can fire 223 40 grain bullets at similar speeds as the 40 grain 204's resulting in similar down range performances, the .204 always comes out on top in terms of exterior ballistic against the .223 using 40 grain bullets but only just in the field. If you use 50/55 grain bullets in the .223 the .204 advantages are greater due to lower .223 bullet BC's and a lot slower velocities.


    The recoil is identical if you are shooting similar weight bullets in both calibres.

    TBH I would not bother shooting 32 grain bullets if there is plenty of 39/40 as the 32's are not any flatter shooting and no better In the wind, the 39/40's carry better energy for larger vermin like fox down range too.

    In a nut shell, if your shooting vermin out to 400 yards id go for a .204, what do you call long range anyway???, if your wanting to shoot past 400 yards then id pick up my custom .223AI with the high BC 80 Amax's and send them flying.

    But in reality though my friend, you wont go wrong with either, they both will kill fox,vermin and targets out to and past 400 yards no problem.

    Will you be reloading, as this will be a big limiting factor if you are just using factory ammo?


    Hope this helps you out, any question just ask?

    Steve.
    Last edited by 247sniper; 16-01-2015 at 15:04.

  3. #3
    Night bandit, I don't know how far south you are, but if you ever make it as far north as County Down, you are welcome to try mine - it's an older Sako with a new Walther barrel.

    It's a great little round.
    Brian.

    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

  4. #4
    247Sniper summed it up , out to 350-400m the .204 is outstanding after that get bigger calibre and heavier bullets . Ive taken several foxes out to 300m with the 32gr bullet and they still just crumble on the spot .

    Either will be good

  5. #5
    247sniper


    Thanks very much for that very good reply, i myself wont be reloading as its not legal here in The Republic of Ireland yet, distance wise 300 - 400 yards will be my maximum range so i think the .204 will be the round of choice for me.


    Im after a CZ 527 'Varmint' ...it has a 1:12 twist rate in a 650mm barrel lenght.

    which should be good for the 32 - 40 grain bullet


    Keep the info coming lads....i really need all i can get on this Model before i order it in.


    Cheers

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Night bandit, I don't know how far south you are, but if you ever make it as far north as County Down, you are welcome to try mine - it's an older Sako with a new Walther barrel.

    It's a great little round.

    Claret_Dabble
    Thanks very much i really appreciate your Kindness

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Bandit View Post
    247sniper


    Thanks very much for that very good reply, i myself wont be reloading as its not legal here in The Republic of Ireland yet, distance wise 300 - 400 yards will be my maximum range so i think the .204 will be the round of choice for me.


    Im after a CZ 527 'Varmint' ...it has a 1:12 twist rate in a 650mm barrel lenght.

    which should be good for the 32 - 40 grain bullet


    Keep the info coming lads....i really need all i can get on this Model before i order it in.


    Cheers
    I have a CZ American Varmint in 204 Ruger and is is a very accurate rifle. I have only shot 40 grain VM through it and it shoots very small groups, and kills the prairiedogs I shoot with it. It shoots very flat.

    That said, I have several good .223's that shoot no worse than the CZ, and a couple that shoot better. I can shoot prairiedogs (far smaller than a rabbit or fox) at 300 yards with 50 grain VM without too much problem... in fact, very little at all. Added to that, the components are easy to come by.

    Recoil?? What a silly comparison. Neither recoil enough to notice. ~Muir

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have a CZ American Varmint in 204 Ruger and is is a very accurate rifle. I have only shot 40 grain VM through it and it shoots very small groups, and kills the prairiedogs I shoot with it. It shoots very flat.

    That said, I have several good .223's that shoot no worse than the CZ, and a couple that shoot better. I can shoot prairiedogs (far smaller than a rabbit or fox) at 300 yards with 50 grain VM without too much problem... in fact, very little at all. Added to that, the components are easy to come by.

    Recoil?? What a silly comparison. Neither recoil enough to notice. ~Muir

    Thanks Muir for your reply...I wouldnt call it a silly comparison when i actually have no experience with the round, and alot of people ive asked keep coming out with the same opinion that the 204 has less recoil and thats why they can see shot placement better. Ive myself have no idea because ive never used one, but im glad ive heard it from someone like yourself that actually has experience of BOTH calibres.W hen you say you have .223's That shoot better could you tel me what makes and models they are??

    I appreciate all the comments here and its a great help on making my decision about which one to go for.

    Keep your opinions and experiences coming Guys!!!!


    Cheers
    Last edited by Night Bandit; 17-01-2015 at 01:40.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Bandit View Post
    Thanks Muir for your reply...I wouldnt call it a silly comparison when i actually have no experience with the round, and alot of people ive asked keep coming out with the same opinion that the 204 has less recoil and thats why they can see shot placement better. Ive myself have no idea because ive never used one, but im glad ive heard it from someone like yourself that actually has experience of BOTH calibres.W hen you say you have .223's That shoot better could you tel me what makes and models they are??

    I appreciate all the comments here and its a great help on making my decision about which one to go for.

    Keep your opinions and experiences coming Guys!!!!


    Cheers
    Ok. Maybe not silly for you, but silly in general. Identical rifles firing 40 grain projectiles at the same velocity would recoil about the same. I have no problem seeing the impact with either. IN fact, I have never noticed that either 'recoil' but I shoot a lot of different rifles.

    For .223's I have under my roof a Howa Varmint, a Hart-barreled Howa, and a Savage 110E. The Hart gun is the most accurate, then the Howa and Savage are both tied. Either will shoot with the CZ with it's favorite loads, I think. The Hart is accurate enough to shoot the staples from the target at the end of the day. It's a spooky accurate rifle that shoots far better than I can hold.

    I like my 204 but there was a drought of brass for a year or so. Winchester is finally making it onto the shelves. Bullets -especially the V-MAX -have never been in short supply. The CZ is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box varmint rifles I have ever owned. You could do far worse than a CZ Varmint in 204. I agree, btw: There is no real advantage to the 32 grain bullet over the 40 grain in the 204 that I can see. I will be trying some 32 grain Berger-made bullets in the 204 soon but only because they are very inexpensive. Half of what the VMax run. ~Muir

  10. #10
    for me the 204 is the most overated calibre i have owned.i found accuracy nodes were never at fast speeds.i had to slow it down to get .25 ish groups .if i wanted 1moa i could push fast.i seem to be alone in this veiw mind.i was running a 20" barrel mind and the 204 seems to like 26" for best results.add a mod on the end and its a bit of a canon to carry.
    my 223 running 75 grainers with a high bc was much better in the wind and easier to tune a load.seemed to go well in a 20"
    nothing in it noies wise.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted OAL Gauge and .223 and .204 cases
    By easypeasy in forum Reloading
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-01-2015, 19:18
  2. *SOLD* Howa 223 204 magazines for sale
    By lambchop in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-12-2014, 21:10
  3. .222, .223, .204 or .17cf......discuss.
    By Danny rem mag in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-07-2014, 13:16
  4. 204 ruger or 223
    By Deanandrew64 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 25-12-2013, 19:27
  5. For Sale Die sets(204,223,243,270,8x57)
    By HME in forum Reloading
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23-03-2013, 08:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •