6.5x55 160gn hornady round nose

User00014

well my big bullets have finally arrived after a long wait (rfd forgot to order them !):rolleyes:
i rumbled up 3 batches of 4 rounds consisting of 49,49.5 and 50 (max) of H1000 with neck sized federal brass and remmington 91/2 primers .
View attachment 358

was hoping to get out this afternoon but had problems electrical with the larder , now thats sorted , can test the bullets tommorrow !

im thinking by using a heavy bullet driven slow , should reduse bullet damage on chest shot animals !

cheers lee

Oh Yes. That is a thumper load. My ex-brother in law was a guide at a fancy elk ranch in northern New Mexico and he carried a 18" carbine 6.5x55 loaded with 160 grain Hornady bullets. He used to amaze his clients when he could shoot a fleeing, wounded elk in the hind end and have the bullet end up in passing through the heart/lung cavity. The client (back then typically a rich Texan) would ask what the hell cartridge he was using to be able to drop an elk like that. Half of them had never heard of it but were impressed both with the l-o-n-g bullet and its terminal performance.~Muir

(I keep two boxes around my bench at all times.)

they sure are some woppers lee. Be interested to see what they do to a roe! Or a muntjac - am hoping I might be able to persuade the boss they need culling now as I've just started restoring hazel coppices. Is there anything more irresistable for a deer than fresh hardwood tree shoots?
Also some nice brass just arrived, and scales on their way!

Have you tried the 155 grain Lapua Mega?

They're highly regarded over here in Skandiland!

Used on roe deer up to moose and everything in between!

well my big bullets have finally arrived after a long wait (rfd forgot to order them !):rolleyes:
i rumbled up 3 batches of 4 rounds consisting of 49,49.5 and 50 (max) of H1000 with neck sized federal brass and remmington 91/2 primers .
View attachment 358

was hoping to get out this afternoon but had problems electrical with the larder , now thats sorted , can test the bullets tommorrow !

im thinking by using a heavy bullet driven slow , should reduse bullet damage on chest shot animals !

cheers lee

well the first live trials have taken place .

View attachment 363
49gn of h1000 , seemed to group the best with a group of just over the inch . i have increased the length from 3.000" to 3.100" which makes the bullet just off the rifling which is the same O.A.L of the 140gn nosler partitions i was using the great acuracey with sub inch group .

have notched up another half dozen rounds with new brass more testing tomorrow !

cheers lee

well the second testing session has gone well !

i increased the O.A.L by 0.100" to 3.100" with new s&b brass and 49gn H1000 again with remmington 9 1/2 primer and got this .

View attachment 367 View attachment 368
i have to say the bullet has really impressed me and has produced the best mushroom ive seen yet and with a sub inch grouping that will do thank you very much !

cheers lee

Back