Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Light recoil calibres.

  1. #1

    Light recoil calibres.

    Due to a shoulder tendon problem I'm steering towards light recoiling cartridges. I now have a 6.5 x 55, but was wondering what others thought to be some of the lighter recoiling calibres that still throw out a 100gr+ bullet? Would a 25-06 be less or similar recoil to 6.5 x 55? Never shot one.

  2. #2
    I'd say .25-06 is between .243Win. & 6.5x55....but it also depends on the weight of the rifle/scope. You'd just have to have a go & see for yourself. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

  3. #3
    SD Regular Greener Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Yorkshireman in Darkest Cornwall
    Posts
    2,569
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm


    Rough guide for you. Depends on how different you want to go. Plenty of stuff which will be deer legal but have recoil equal to or less than a .243, which is about as recoil-free as it gets.
    257 Roberts would be a good choice.
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 17-01-2015 at 09:30.

  4. #4
    I would tend to a 243 in that case. Important would also be the vertical COG position to reduce muzzle flip, higher mounted heavy scope can have benefits.
    We also had reports that even a lighter weight stock made of carbon seemed to have less recoil compared to a heavier stock of glass or wood.
    Adding weights in the right place internally to a stock can of course also help.
    A soft recoil pad won't be a mistake either.
    edi

  5. #5
    6.5x55 is a very mild cartridge in terms of recoil. The 25-06 and indeed the 243 in a light rifle tend to be pretty snappy rather than a push. With the 6.5 keep the velocity low - you might find a heavier bullet at lower velocity has less felt recoil. With shoulder tendons, key is to get some good physio advice and do the exercises - much less bother than the bother of changing calibre. After doing lots of exercises my shoulder has settled down and it cost £60 in physio fees. . Far more damaging than recoil will be dragging and lugging deer.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 17-01-2015 at 12:12.

  6. #6
    get a rifle that fits rather than one that looks good on paper

    felt recoil is subjective

    by far the best way to avoid felt recoil is proper length of pull, weight and stock shape (cheek weld)

    I had a .243 that used to kick lumps out of me!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    6.5x55 is a very mild cartridge in terms of recoil. The 25-06 and indeed the 243 in a light rifle tend to be pretty snappy rather than a push. With the 6.5 keep the velocity low - you might find a heavier bullet at lower velocity has less felt recoil. With shoulder tendons, key is to get some good physio advice and do the exercises - much less bother than the bother of changing calibre. After doing lots of exercises my shoulder has settled down and it cost £60 in physio fees. . Far more damaging than recoil will be dragging and lugging deer.
    Yes, I've only tried the 6.5 with the 120grs so far, and not the 140s, so will be interesting to see how they feel. Thanks.

  8. #8
    do you or can you reload? If so, then just make lighter loads - they don't have to go break neck speed for range most shoot at. Job done.
    Cheers
    Hayden

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Due to a shoulder tendon problem I'm steering towards light recoiling cartridges. I now have a 6.5 x 55, but was wondering what others thought to be some of the lighter recoiling calibres that still throw out a 100gr+ bullet? Would a 25-06 be less or similar recoil to 6.5 x 55? Never shot one.
    .257r with moderator, 85g through 120g, alternatively .243 with long throat and twist to take up to 115g pills

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

    I had a .243 that used to kick lumps out of me!
    ed, come on, you just can't admit to that!

Similar Threads

  1. what calibres
    By boar & deer in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 09:39
  2. Roe Calibres
    By DL in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 28-01-2012, 15:59
  3. Two calibres, one rifle?
    By rmb1100xxv in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 19:01
  4. Minimum Calibres
    By Oly in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18-03-2010, 12:53
  5. Too many calibres?
    By basil in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23-08-2008, 07:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •