Sig 522

Never had one but a lass at the range was almost upset about her new LanTac .22 when she tried the Sig.

The only reason she wasn't was because she is familiar with the AR platform (she has SGC and Bradley AR's aswell)

I see that as a pretty good recommendation :D

Hi art school,
Pretty much the usual stuff re accuracy and reliability esp with subsonic ammo.
Is it noisy in operation?...seems like the Ruger 10/22 can be noisy. That's not good if bunny shooting at night.

I've been reading reviews and they all seem to rate it highly.
Pete Moore did one review last April.

Any info welcome incl why you no longer have it if not being too cheeky.

Thanks

Hi art school,
Pretty much the usual stuff re accuracy and reliability esp with subsonic ammo.
Is it noisy in operation?...seems like the Ruger 10/22 can be noisy. That's not good if bunny shooting at night.

I've been reading reviews and they all seem to rate it highly.
Pete Moore did one review last April.

Any info welcome incl why you no longer have it if not being too cheeky.

Thanks

ok. I found it to be perfectly accurate at normal 22lr ranges. The trigger had a large first stage take up, and i could never get used to the upper and lower fit or the magazine wobble, but this is normal for these type of firearms.

it cycled everything with out any hassle but did prefer eley sport. the action is noisier than a bolt action (obviously) but i found it quieter than a 10/22.

i had the classic and because the barrel had the forend attached it was sensitive to hold or bipod when shooting.

that said in my opinion its the best of these type of 22lr's, i used to have a pulsar n550 on the top for rabbiting and it did the job brilliantly.

why did i sell it? simply because i had a bolt action 22lr that did the same job with less fuss and i wasn't keen on the military look of the rifle when out and about.

do i regret owning one? no because it was a laugh down at the range blitzing through 25rd mags.:D:D:D

Brilliant, thank you.
I'm at that will-won't-I stage with it.
It could be just down to the fact that I haven't bought a gun for a while.
Need to chill out and take deep breaths :)

Brilliant, thank you.
I'm at that will-won't-I stage with it.
It could be just down to the fact that I haven't bought a gun for a while.
Need to chill out and take deep breaths :)

well dont do what i did, which was to walk into a shop with one in stock with cash and a empty slot on my fac.:D

if you fancy an ar15 type rifle you cant really go wrong with the sig.

Ive got one, put hundreds of rounds through it....like it a lot. Ive got thw SWAT version.

There is a SWAT for sale locally to me for the right money, it is advertised on the FCSA website.

Thanks.
Been reading up on them. The Target model they brought out sounds good though. Free floating 20,inch barrel,gets good reviews.
What accuracy do you get from yours ?

Regarding accuracy - I'm getting similar results to a heavy barrel CZ455 with my SIG522 SWAT, i.e most rounds are touching at 25 yards and just over 1" at 50 yards - that's with RWS subs. The only thing that lets any .22 SIG down is the military type trigger, in that its a fairly heavy pull, and that's regardless of whether its the so called target model or the standard. There are trigger tweaks available using modified AR15 springs.

I've had the SWAT model for 2 years the Target model wasn't available then. No issues with accuracy, at the range, off a bi-pod it will put 10 rounds of standard CCI into < 0.5" if I do my bit.

I get similar results with Winchester Subs against rabbits out on the permissions. Yes it is noisier than a bolt action would be, and there is the question of the "military" look which might cause concern. It doesn't worry me though.

Having said that, I still have a free slot for a .22LR on my ticket if I want to go for a dedicated varmint gun, perhaps with NV.

And yes it is HUGE fun on the range!

I've also tried the H&K 416 and prefer the Sig, so did the 416 owner when he tried mine!:oops:

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Just to throw cat amongst pigeons - I've had a S&W M&P 15-22 for just over a year now and it is absolutely superb - no wobbly bits - half to 1" groups at 60 yards with Winchester Subs (silent with the mod with low cycling noise from the bolt). By the last count, I'd put around 800 rounds of winchester subs through it along with a further 2,500 or so CCI AR Tactical (range fun and practical) - of these I've recorded 2 FTF and 4 FTE (stovepipes). I've popped a few add-ons onto it (as you do) with the best being the drop-in CMC trigger.

the Sig is good (I've shot one) but the Smith & Wesson is so much better - try one before you commit to the Sig is all I can say imho.....

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The absolutely ONLY thing I don't like about the Smith is that it's another AR-15 type.

One hell of a rifle mind :)

:thumb: It's a good bit of kit to take to the range - best way to kill time whilst the barrels cooling down between groups on the big 'un. Good for multiple bunnie popping although do be aware that it will (and anything like it will) draw a stare if you bump into joe public.....!

A friend of mine has a SIG 522 to go with his SIG 556 and it really has the feel of the centerfire, a very good set. The sights are good, but we shot it with a 4x scope, too, out to 100 yards with accuracy.

I have a S&W MP15-22 and love it. It also has the feel of an AR-15 carbine. I did a bunch of research on all of them, and the S&W got high marks. I talked to those who own several of the tactical .22s, and several police officers I know who shoot them as training weapons. The techie at S&W told me to shoot the cheap blue box Federal .22LR, as the chamber is very tight, and the bolt, too. I get great accuracy from it. I am probably going to replace the front and rear sights with fold down AR-15 sights so I can use a scope on it mounted low, without removing things so much.

This thread just came up on google when I was looking for something else SIG522 related.

Did the OP get a 522 in the end? Had mine ages and love it. Still causes a stir every time it goes to my clubs and will outshoot most bolt action ..22lrs out to 75m. It has transformed my opinion of semi-auto .22lrs.

This thread just came up on google when I was looking for something else SIG522 related.

Did the OP get a 522 in the end? Had mine ages and love it. Still causes a stir every time it goes to my clubs and will outshoot most bolt action ..22lrs out to 75m. It has transformed my opinion of semi-auto .22lrs.

Unfortunately he passed away earlier in the year.

Back