Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which custom action?

which custom action?

Gents,

I am considering a full custom build this year in one of the 6.5mm's, im leaning towards the 6.5-284 at the moment but have not settled yet. What are your thoughts on the best custom actions. The rifle will most prob be a paper puncher but would like it to mag feed if i end up using for stalking. I have been reading some great reviews of the DCR actions devon custom rifles and wondered if anybody has used one.
    Any comments and advice on your own experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Someone will be along to talk more on actions as I have no experience in that area.

In the meantime, what weight, stock, barrel length, scope you thinking? The reason I ask is because target and stalking are very different (as i'm sure you know and have already considered) but with a compromise you end up with something which is too heavy for stalking whilst still being lighter than most target rifles. Or is the plan a heavy target rifle for use from high seats after deer?

I do love the thought process behind new rifles! Just wish I could afford it more!

Go for something tried and tested Bat or Borden , i have a rifle built on a bat and i have just bought a borden to try on my next build.

regards chris

Given the post I've just made re FLR compared to NS only I would have to say give as much thought to your approach to chambering and mindful the barrel simply screws into the action.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Yes predominantly target rifle for the range but would like to sit in a high seat from time to time. I have other lighter stalking rifles which would be used on days out.
    I don't want anything stupidly heavy, not a fan of the multicolour stocks.
    Barrel length 26"
    Scope will be my vortex pst 6-24 but would like a PMii eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Go for something tried and tested Bat or Borden , i have a rifle built on a bat and i have just bought a borden to try on my next build.

regards chris
    Both these actions get great write ups, where do you buy your actions from? Do they have to be ordered in? When going the custom route do you pick up all your parts, action, barrel, etc and have a gunsmith put them together or do you go to a smith and they have a selection of bits that they prefer to use. I've only ever purchased factory built rifles and this would be an absolute first for me.

s8mdevo. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Short list the rifle smiths first. Regards JCS

Go British there are some great actions made in the uk. I have a gbr made by dcr it's an incredible action. The whole rifle is British built exept the trigger which will change soon
    Last edited by gr1ffer; 18-01-2015 at 21:44.

I hate that I don't hate that (synthetic stock). Looks classy mate

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    Go British there are some great actions made in the uk. I have a gbr made by dcr it's an incredible action. The whole rifle is British built exept the trigger which will change soon
    I do like the idea of going British. Would like to hear more about the DCR actions. I have heard nothing but great reviews. Hope you don't mind me asking, who built your rifle?