Thread: english walnut stock blank

english walnut stock blank

English walnut stock blank. 35" long, 2.6" wide. 7-8" narrowing to 2.5"

veining running well up through butt, then with some nice burling through straight down forend.

150 + 20 P&PClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (10).jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	51783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (4).jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	51784

Bump and will potentially accept 125 posted if I'm feeling kind

Out of interest what does it cost roughly getting a blank made into a stock?

I usually charge around 750 + finishing, checkering, recoil pad, etc. usually ends up around 1,250. That's aside from the blank of course.

This blank would be ideal for someone wanting to carve their own stock, I am not sure it warrants a stockmakers time in terms of veining layout, which is why I am not going to use it. Had it been a 500-2000 blank, I would be using it myself.

You could possibly get someone like Joe West to CNC cut it for a few hundred quid, that is, (not sure what he would actually charge!) if he has your stock image on 3D scan already.

But for someone wanting to have a go at their own stock, this is a great deal for english walnut. I usually pay around 400 for the most basic english walnut blanks, and 800 for the more intricate in veining and layout.

Thanks Peter is there a good book that or online guide to how it is done? Sounds like a fantastically daft project I could start and complete when I am finally too old to stalk/fish/shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Essexsussex View Post
    Thanks Peter is there a good book that or online guide to how it is done? Sounds like a fantastically daft project I could start and complete when I am finally too old to stalk/fish/shoot!
    Plenty of books if you search amazon. Very satisfying to do, time consuming, very time consuming, but worth every minute when done!

bump and since I'm not going to use this for the coming year, 100 posted or will have to put back into the attic.