Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I recommend William Evans to London shooters

Why I recommend William Evans to London shooters

Those of you who live in London will know that there are precious few gunshops left around the place, and almost all of the ones near the centre are place like Purdey’s or Holland’s, which are really geared up to serve the needs of the global 1%, and arguably they were never really gunshops for the Masses anyway. Fair enough, but where does a London shooter with pockets of average depth turn for his or her sporadic needs? I have now decided once and for all that the answer is William Evans. Over the past few months, the staff there have done the following for me:

1. Handled the import of my drilling from Germany and the uncommunicative dealer over there, thanks in great part to a fluent German speaker on their staff. This took two months and they made from it the princely sum of £30.

2. Researched which factory 7x57R ammunition they could obtain for me and quoted me completely sensible prices for it (take note Beretta Gallery across the street…)

3. Gave me a discount on a jacket for no particular reason after I had to call them back because my card had been declined following an attempt to clone it. So once again, what happened is that I paid with a duff card, so they knocked off 10%...

4. They are currently handling the drilling on its’ way back and forth from Alan Rhone’s, having first told me that they would have sent it to him for repairs anyway. They didn’t try and cream off some of the cost, or attempt to botch it up themselves. They also waved away my offer to pay upfront saying that we’d sort that all out later (they quoted the price though, so it’s not like I’ve written them a blank cheque).

At every opportunity they have been courteous, friendly and interested, asking me about my season and so on, despite the fact that I must be far down the bottom of their list for valuable customers. They extend the same courtesy and level of service as if I had walked in to order a fifty grand shotgun. These are small things, but having been variously fleeced or treated like something stuck to the sole of a shoe, or indeed just turned away by a variety of London gunshops at both end of the scale, I thought it worth mentioning on here. They deserve our business, that level of service is rare these days. They don’t have to provide it.

did you deal with Alistair ? top chap !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

They have a sale on at the moment so may drag myself away from Hatchards at lunch time for a nose.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    They have a sale on at the moment so may drag myself away from Hatchards at lunch time for a nose.

K
    I'm going to pop in there tomorrow to pick up that jacket which they're sending from the Bisley store, either before or after a meeting I have in town. Care for a pint in the Red Lion perhaps?

+1

I had bought a new Mod but only had permission for the one in .243 so couldn't have it sent direct to me... they took delivery of it, held it a week, swapped it over for my previous one (which they bought off me for a mutually agreed and reasonable price) and made the whole experience a pleasure rather than the pain it could have been.

I had a stalk coming up but couldn't get to a range to zero with the new Mod in time, so they loaned me the original Mod back (all entered onto FAC), looked after the new one again, and signed it back to me once I had been out stalking.

I had been to Beretta and Purdey beforehand who both said they were unable to help.

Old-school customer service and, as you say PM, genuine interest in the sport/equipment.

I am a customer for life now.

I've been pleasantly surprised by WIlliam Evans too, I was always a bit put off by the look of the place but eventually popped in for a nosy around.
    Was glad I did, I got hold of some ammo for the 30-06 at fairly reasonable rates, ordered up some other stuff plus .22 ammo, not a penny changed hands til the goods were in shop.
    What time tomorrow for a pint then?
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Actually I don't think the pint part is going to work out unfortunately. I'm going to have to just make a mad dash for the place between meetings and need to be mindful of domestic arrangements... I was just a bit carried away with the opportunity to perhaps meet Klenchblaize in the flesh.

William Evans is very nice little haven / escape from the hustle and bustle of London. When I am down in town I tend to pop in.

Some other time then, it'll hardly be your last visit to WE
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Actually I don't think the pint part is going to work out unfortunately. I'm going to have to just make a mad dash for the place between meetings and need to be mindful of domestic arrangements... I was just a bit carried away with the opportunity to perhaps meet Klenchblaize in the flesh.
    I can do a 75% leather covering if that is acceptable??

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.