Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hintenburger Ammunition - Anyone used it? - Is it any good?

Hintenburger Ammunition - Anyone used it? - Is it any good?

Sorry Moderators, I have put this in the wrong section so I will put it in the Ammunition section. Maybe you could delete this post for me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've started running a little low on the Norma .270 ammunition that I got cheaply so I need to start thinking about some new ammunition. I've come across some Hintenburger 150g SP ammunition in .270 at what seems like quite a reasonable price (15 per box) but I have never heard of or about Hintenburger Ammunition before. Do any of you guys out there use it or can anyone enlighten me on if this ammunition might be worth a try at that price please.
    I should add that most of my shooting nowadays (With the .270) is mainly fox but there is always a reasonable chance of Roe on my permissions plus I do get occasional invites to go out "Park Culling" for Fallow, Reds, Sikas etc.

Your thoughts and opinions as always are most welcome.
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 19-01-2015 at 18:53.

Hirtenberger?
    not used it just googled and found some hits for the alternate spelling

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Hirtenberger?
    not used it just googled and found some hits for the alternate spelling
    My mistake - Hirtenburger!

[QUOTE=FrenchieBoy;909399]Sorry Moderators, I have put this in the wrong section so I will put it in the Ammunition section. Maybe you could delete this post for me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I've started running a little low on the Norma .270 ammunition that I got cheaply so I need to start thinking about some new ammunition. I've come across some Hintenburger 150g SP ammunition in .270 at what seems like quite a reasonable price (15 per box) but I have never heard of or about Hintenburger Ammunition before. Do any of you guys out there use it or can anyone enlighten me on if this ammunition might be worth a try at that price please.
    I should add that most of my shooting nowadays (With the .270) is mainly fox but there is always a reasonable chance of Roe on my permissions plus I do get occasional invites to go out "Park Culling" for Fallow, Reds, Sikas etc.

Your thoughts and opinions as always are most welcome.[/QUOTE
    I have used this ammo but in 223.It was a 50gr soft point and shot extremely well.I suppose you will have to buy some and see if it shoots well in your rifle.
    All the best
    dave

Hirtenberger ??

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    Hirtenberger ??
    Give the man a coconut!
    Last edited by Dalua; 19-01-2015 at 20:06.

SD Regular
    OH! NO! NO! NO!

Do be aware that on some HP brass the flash hole is considerably smaller than the commonly used size on all American and everybody else's European brass. Not Berdan I'm mistaking here but HP Boxer brass.

I have BENT the rod on a set of Forster Bonanza 270 Micrometer Dies by mistakenly trying to de-cap HP .270 Winchester brass. As despite my years of experience I had forgotten all about this little "foible" of HP brass. And as soon as I done it I remembered that I had done exactly the same thing...in the same calibre but different dies...about twenty years before.

BEWARE!!

I hope despite the maybe over melodramatic tone of my posting that I have at least saved you a bent de-capping rod! If you don't reload it's not a problem as it is good ammunition BUT maybe a decade at least old! But no-one will thank you for the empty cases...unless they don't know this "foible".

I shot a couple of boxes of Hirtenberger about 35 yers ago. The only thing i remember is they shed the bullet core and i just found the bullet jacket inside the deer. I think they were 150grn in .308.

I have used the 9mm Luger and the .308 Match, both very good. The 9mm is probably the best I have ever used for those handguns. You have to be careful with the 9mm, as they also make a +P+ for locking breech submachineguns, like the HK MP5 and the Colt AR in 9mm, which is 115-gr bullet at over 1500 fps.

The 110 and 115-gr 9mm bullets are flat nose, truncated cone, designed to open fully, not richocet ( for police work in urban settings ), penetrate windshields, but not penetrate too much wall board.

I shot a wounded deer on the move, jumped at about 25 yards, one shot in the heart and it was DRT. So I am hoarding what I have left. I had about 100 rounds of Hirtenberger match ammunition which shot very well. I have not seen any in years.

Can't say that I have seen that make imported into the U.K. for at least 20 years so I would guess that its possibly old stock. Hirtenberger used to have a very good reputation, their target .308 ammo was what the NRA sold for a few years.

I reloaded several hundred ex NRA .308 cases that I was given and never had any problems with small primer flash holes but that was .308 and not .270 so Enfield's warning could very well be worth being aware of.
    Last edited by 8x57; 20-01-2015 at 06:56.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.