Thread: Hintenburger Ammunition. Anyone used it?

Hintenburger Ammunition. Anyone used it?

I've started running a little low on the Norma .270 ammunition that I got cheaply (Which I love but is quite pricey) so I need to start thinking about some new (Not too expensive) ammunition. I've come across some .270 Hirtenburger 150g SP ammunition at what seems like quite a reasonable price (15 per box) but I have never heard of or about Hintenburger Ammunition before. Do any of you guys out there use it or can anyone enlighten me on if this ammunition is any good or might be worth a try at that price please.
    I should add that most of my shooting nowadays (With the .270) is mainly fox but there is always a reasonable chance of Roe on my permissions plus I do get occasional invites to go out "Park Culling" for Fallow, Reds, Sikas etc.

Your thoughts and opinions as always are most welcome.

p.s. Sorry about the wrong spelling in the title - My mistake entirely!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 19-01-2015 at 18:59. Reason: Spelling error in title.

They are an Austrian company. I believe they have made ammunition under contract to RG, and they also make a 60mm mortar which is highly thought of. I know that isn't a lot to go on but Austria is not known for shoddy arms manufacturing, so I would expect it to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I've started running a little low on the Norma .270 ammunition that I got cheaply (Which I love but is quite pricey) so I need to start thinking about some new (Not too expensive) ammunition. I've come across some .270 Hirtenburger 150g SP ammunition at what seems like quite a reasonable price (15 per box) but I have never heard of or about Hintenburger Ammunition before. Do any of you guys out there use it or can anyone enlighten me on if this ammunition is any good or might be worth a try at that price please.
    I should add that most of my shooting nowadays (With the .270) is mainly fox but there is always a reasonable chance of Roe on my permissions plus I do get occasional invites to go out "Park Culling" for Fallow, Reds, Sikas etc.

Your thoughts and opinions as always are most welcome.

p.s. Sorry about the wrong spelling in the title - My mistake entirely!
    Ha I replied on your other thread.Ive used it in 223 and it shot really well,only reason I stopped using it was the range ran out of it!
    Go try some at that price.
    dave

SD Regular
    OH! NO! NO! NO!

Do be aware that on some HP brass the flash hole is considerably smaller than the commonly used size on all American and everybody else's European brass. Not Berdan I'm mistaking here but HP Boxer brass.

I have BENT the rod on a set of Forster Bonanza 270 Micrometer Dies by mistakenly trying to de-cap HP .270 Winchester brass. As despite my years of experience I had forgotten all about this little "foible" of HP brass. And as soon as I done it I remembered that I had done exactly the same thing...in the same calibre but different dies...about twenty years before.

BEWARE!!

I hope despite the maybe over melodramatic tone of my posting that I have at least saved you a bent de-capping rod! If you don't reload it's not a problem as it is good ammunition BUT maybe a decade at least old! But no-one will thank you for the empty cases...unless they don't know this "foible".
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 19-01-2015 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    OH! NO! NO! NO!

Do be aware that on some HP brass the flash hole is considerably smaller than the commonly used size on all American and everybody else's European brass. Not Berdan I'm mistaking here but HP Boxer brass.

I have BENT the rod on a set of Forster Bonanza 270 Micrometer Dies by mistakenly trying to de-cap HP .270 Winchester brass. As despite my years of experience I had forgotten all about this little "foible" of HP brass. And as soon as I done it I remembered that I had done exactly the same thing...in the same calibre but different dies...about twenty years before.

BEWARE!!

I hope despite the maybe over melodramatic tone of my posting that I have at least saved you a bent de-capping rod! If you don't reload it's not a problem as it is good ammunition BUT maybe a decade at least old! But no-one will thank you for the empty cases...unless they don't know this "foible".
    Whilst the warning about the reloading side of it doesn't effect me I hope that it might help others.
    If it is likely "old stock" is there any way of telling what year it was manufactured in please?

I had a couple of boxes given to me some time ago, they would never group, all over the place like a pepperpot in my .270 Sauer they were also 150gr

Here is one can of Hirtenberger 150-gr SPT hunting ammo, and some brass from FMJ in a box where you can see the date codes in light grey stamping. I have another can of the 7.62 NATO which I will dig out, if you need it. There is also som Radway Green mixed in here, with date codes on the box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hirtenberger-dates.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	52192

While I had the can open, I gave a few boxes to someone who has just purchased a new .308, for them to break it in. I will get a report back on how it shoots.