Correct Descrption/Terminology

Cascade

Can someone please enlighten me as to where on any box of rifle bullets are the contents inside described as, or, labelled as Heads?
Don`t know why people call them Heads they`re rifle bullets,
It`s just a personal observation but it does my head in

Bob

This old chestnut again :banghead:

to to me it just doesn't matter , if somebody asks a question then rather than correct him about his terminology in a condescending manner I prefer to help them if I can , if I cant I just move along ?

if somebody asks a question...
The OP is asking a question!

...then rather than correct him about his terminology in a condescending manner I prefer to help them if I can
These two things are not mutually exclusive: if someone's terminology is wrong, correcting them is surely the kindest thing to do. If you add a bit of condescention, the irritiation they feel might work as a negative reinforcement and cause them to use the correct terminology next time.
Do you understand?
;)

Can someone please enlighten me as to where on any box of rifle bullets are the contents inside described as, or, labelled as Heads?
Don`t know why people call them Heads they`re rifle bullets,
It`s just a personal observation but it does my head in

Bob

Probably because the RFD's selling them refer to them as such - Kranks included.

no wonder people are put off shooting sports :cry:

we are our own worst enemies and will only have ourselves to blame for the lack of new blood and the sport dying out :doh:

The case "head" is the rear of the case."Head space" has zero to do with projectiles, but much to do with correct chamber length. Using "heads" as the vernacular for projectiles is not just incorrect but a potential safety issue.

Sharkey

PS
You folks also need to understand that everyone outside Britain uses CWD as the acronym for Chronic Wasting Disease. It raises eyebrows every time someone posts about these wee deer in some new location. lol

The case "head" is the rear of the case."Head space" has zero to do with projectiles, but much to do with correct chamber length. Using "heads" as the vernacular for projectiles is not just incorrect but a potential safety issue.

Sharkey

PS
You folks also need to understand that everyone outside Britain uses CWD as the acronym for Chronic Wasting Disease. It raises eyebrows every time someone posts about these wee deer in some new location. lol

how so?

I have met several pommies who have wrongly described split necks as head separations & are unaware of the causes of these. Without correct language its pretty hard to determine or have explained what has happened, or establish what is the cause is or how to correct & prevent it again.

The head is the rear of the cartridge, not the projectile e.g. "head space".

Sharkey

I have met several pommies who have wrongly described split necks as head separations & are unaware of the causes of these. Without correct language its pretty hard to determine or have explained what has happened, or establish what is the cause is or how to correct & prevent it again.

The head is the rear of the cartridge, not the projectile e.g. "head space".

Sharkey

met any aussies that have made the same mistake?

met any aussies that have made the same mistake?

Never. It's not part of our shooting vernacular other than the rear of the case & describing chamber length relative to case length.

"Head" is often reserved for a much different recreational pursuit down here & whilst we use some vulgar language at times "Head" is one of the bluest words.

Sharkey

Last edited:
I must put my hands up and say that I find sloppy or incorrect terminology ever so slightly annoying mainly because it often leads to confusion. What I find even more irritating is the likes of Krank's and the Sportsman Gun Centre advertising and using incorrect terminology even if it has become the vernacular to some who perhaps are new to shooting.

How about starting a list of those words or terms that are often used incorrectly, here's a few examples;

1. Heads instead of bullets.
2. Bullets when they mean ammunition.
3. Keyholing when rounds are touching when in fact the term refers to a bullet going in sideways.
4. Head seperation as Sharkey mentioned when in fact what is being talked about is splits in the neck of a case.
5. Head spacing - whole raft of misunderstanding on this one.

Lets see how many others we can add to the list.

Back