Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billhook

Billhook

I'm after a decent billhook but so far I can't seem to find anywhere selling decent ones. EBay ranges from 10-30 but they all look a bit rubbish, there are some vintage ones that I'm sure a better quality but the handles all look a little old and probably need replacing. The local agricultural/farming supplies place has one for 35 but the grind on the blade looks terrible and would need a lot of work to get it properly sharp.

So, can anyone here recommend a decent online retailer or somewhere in east Sussex that stocks decent ones with a nice sharp blade that won't require a complete regrind to get it to an acceptable standard.

No but look for a second hand Ellwell one, I have had one for years, proper working tool and well balanced and takes an excellent edge.

When you say bill hook what exatctly do you want, brushing hook for light trimming or a tool to use for hedge laying?

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    No but look for a second hand Ellwell one, I have had one for years, proper working tool and well balanced and takes an excellent edge.

When you say bill hook what exatctly do you want, brushing hook for light trimming or a tool to use for hedge laying?

D
    Not specifically for hedge laying but cutting through branches up to a couple of inches thick. More ground clearance and levelling very small copice. I've used one in the past and it was so much better than the hatchet and pruning saw I have now. It's to carry with me while walking the dog so I can do a bit each day without the Mrs getting the hump I'm out all day!

Buy an older tool they are worth it! Weights and shapes vary for good reason, they all have a purpose.

I have a old one you can have, I will drop it at rakers if that is any use to you.

Or a severquick great tool not exactly a billhook but sounds ideal for what you want.

Best tool you can buy is a Swiss switch. Had mine for 15 years leather bound handle and blade are still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by JSW View Post
    Best tool you can buy is a Swiss switch. Had mine for 15 years leather bound handle and blade are still going strong
    one going for 17 quid on f r jones website. Made by stihl.

Have a swiss switch which i do not use as it is too light, blade is very thin, does not hold an good enough edge for me and the metal bracket at the base of the handle is the most uncomfortable thing when in use.......i suggest Taking Taff up on his offer.