Billhook

nun_hunter

I'm after a decent billhook but so far I can't seem to find anywhere selling decent ones. EBay ranges from £10-30 but they all look a bit rubbish, there are some vintage ones that I'm sure a better quality but the handles all look a little old and probably need replacing. The local agricultural/farming supplies place has one for £35 but the grind on the blade looks terrible and would need a lot of work to get it properly sharp.

So, can anyone here recommend a decent online retailer or somewhere in east Sussex that stocks decent ones with a nice sharp blade that won't require a complete regrind to get it to an acceptable standard.

No but look for a second hand Ellwell one, I have had one for years, proper working tool and well balanced and takes an excellent edge.

When you say bill hook what exatctly do you want, brushing hook for light trimming or a tool to use for hedge laying?

D

No but look for a second hand Ellwell one, I have had one for years, proper working tool and well balanced and takes an excellent edge.

When you say bill hook what exatctly do you want, brushing hook for light trimming or a tool to use for hedge laying?

D

Not specifically for hedge laying but cutting through branches up to a couple of inches thick. More ground clearance and levelling very small copice. I've used one in the past and it was so much better than the hatchet and pruning saw I have now. It's to carry with me while walking the dog so I can do a bit each day without the Mrs getting the hump I'm out all day!

Best tool you can buy is a Swiss switch. Had mine for 15 years leather bound handle and blade are still going strong

Have a swiss switch which i do not use as it is too light, blade is very thin, does not hold an good enough edge for me and the metal bracket at the base of the handle is the most uncomfortable thing when in use.......i suggest Taking Taff up on his offer.

Elwell, Brades, Isaac Nash, all good old black country forges. Super tools. However like the "two birds in the bush" they all pale beside Taff's kind offer!

My dad always reckoned that you should look for a really well worn second hand edge tool, it means that somebody really liked to use it, so there is good chance you will also.

With virtually any edge tool, new or old, you should reckon on a session of grinding/sharpening to get the profile that suits your use.

Alan

An Irish slasher is an excellent tool if you know how to use one.

Agree on the Ellwell also, buy an older tool, great quality.

I use a Morris Devon and have no issues with it. Nice weight, good handle, keeps a nice edge.

Google Timeless Tools not cheep but they have what you want.

I did have a look there but at the moment I'm taking Taff up on his extremely kind offer. The other thing with Timeless tools is I imagine they buy them cheap from boot sales or second hand shops etc off people who don't know the value of them. I like being the one to get a hidden gem not paying someone to find it, lol.

I bought one last year from someone who hand forges everything from scratch. You decide what type of hook you want and he forges it for you, will stamp your initials in it if you'd like. I bought a property that has woodland and old hedges that need reworking at 30 years of neglect. Decided to buy something of real quality and I think this one would stand up against any of the older ones that were made by the wizards in the past. Request Rejected

olivemeadforge dot co dot uk. For some reason the link wasn't working. Talk to John about what you want and he'll sort you out with something you can pass down through the generations.

Last edited:
Back