Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant Recipes for 8?

Regular Poster

Pheasant Recipes for 8?

Hello all,
    As in the title really. I have beaters day on Saturday and whilst celebrating the end of exams last night I drunkenly agreed to cook pheasant for my uni flat on monday. So does anyone have any good, quick,simple recipes for pheasant that are easily scaled up to feed 8? Obviously I am on a bit of a budget, but as the meat will be free I should be able to sort a good meal. No one else has eaten game, so apart from hanging them for less time (2 days is the plan) any ideas to sell them on the concept?
    Thanks,
    Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Hello all,
    As in the title really. I have beaters day on Saturday and whilst celebrating the end of exams last night I drunkenly agreed to cook pheasant for my uni flat on monday. So does anyone have any good, quick,simple recipes for pheasant that are easily scaled up to feed 8? Obviously I am on a bit of a budget, but as the meat will be free I should be able to sort a good meal. No one else has eaten game, so apart from hanging them for less time (2 days is the plan) any ideas to sell them on the concept?
    Thanks,
    Alistair
    Dice the Pheasant, add your choice of veg. dice a smoked gammon steak, mix up a pack of apple and herb stuffing, add some herbs. Mix the lot up and put in a roasting tin, mid oven, gas mk 4 for about 3 hours. Serve in rolls.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Big Casserole of 4 pheasants, few veg carrots, leeks, onions, seasoning etc, chicken stock made with water and stock cube, but use a couple of cans of student juice ie strongbow cider. Chuck it in oven for hour and a half, no hassle. Prepare it in advance. Pheasant in cider!
    Serve a breast and a leg to each person with copious mash potato and green beans on the side.
    perfect!

Breast the birds, cut a pocket in each one, stuff with your choice of filling (haggis is my favourite, but black pudding, sausagemeat etc will all work) Wrap each breast in bacon then roast & serve with a creamy pepper sauce, green vegetables & mash?

Or dice the breasts, fry them off with some onion & add to a simple curry sauce? Can't remember the name of it, but there's a packet sauce that replicates the Chinese curry sauce & it's pretty good. You just add a couple of pints of water & bring it to a simmer. Then chuck in the meat. Couldn't be easier

Sure there'll be a heap of otehr suggestions, too
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 20-01-2015 at 18:56.

Or have a look here .. www.1245.forumotion.net
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Hi eight breasts place in-between cling film and flatten, then coat in breadcrumbs / parmesan mix. First dip in flour then egg then breadcrumbs, shallow fry in butter/olive oil until golden. Some thin chips and salad sorted. We have this at least once a week throughout season. Mmmmmmmmmm
    Jim

Don't forget to tell everybody to watch out for shot.
    You don't want their dentist bills .
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Mince up the Pheasants add herbs and parma ham and dish out proper student food

Mines is similar to woodsmokes but using rovers battering/cling film.

Breast the pheasants as rover said cover in clim film and batter to its thinnner, prob half/quart original thickness.
    Brown some haggis and carrots,turnips in a frying pan and put a spoon ful or 2 in middle of flattened breasts and roll it up, then wrap in bacon and tin foil, takes about 20 mins in oven.

Seemingly haggis turnip and carrots are often used with game as they hold in moisture so ur game is not to dry, i'm a rubbish cook and when i used to roast pheasanrt was alwyas to dry but really nice when u do the above. Never roast game nowadays

If u can be bothered i take the tighs (and often other game) and dice them up mix with haggis, carrots, neeps and mix with some suace (pepper's nice) and wrap in puff pastry so like a game/pheas slice from greggs

Regular Poster
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. I will have to see what takes their fancy this time but next season I shall eat like a king!
    Alistair