Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Section 5 handguns

Section 5 handguns

So as normal I've had a gander at holts auctions. Namely the unsold lots.

Within the Section 5 lots there was the usual old revolvers, derringers and pump action centrefire rifles.

What caught my attention was the 'race guns' for sale. For those who aren't aware, these are handguns which were modified for soecific forms of target shooting pre-ban. Many of the people at my club used to own similar.

I am intrigued as to why these are still in the UK. There is no use for them anymore (since its so hard getting any form of handgun for humane despatch and even if you can get one, a race gun probably isn't what you're after).
    Private security individuals are provided with their firearms by their employer (or provide them to there employees) and choose the usual LE sidearms like Glocks, Sigs etc.
    I would have thought that anything with resale value would have been exported long ago to more prosperous markets.

Any insight into why they're still floating around?

Linky:Full Details for Lot 3744 : Holts Auctioneers
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 20-01-2015 at 22:47.

Handguns are still legal in Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post

And over here on the Isle of Man.

and IOM and the Channel Islands??

hh

Doh! You were too quick for me 247Sniper

[I am intrigued as to why these are still in the UK. There is no use for them anymore (since its so hard getting any form of handgun for humane despatch and even if you can get one, a race gun probably isn't what you're after].
    [I would have thought that anything with resale value would have been exported long ago to more prosperous markets].

I guess with the dealers who sell "deactivated guns" having to get their "raw material" from somewhere there is still a resale value, just not as a "live" firearm

Oh yeah, completely forgot about IoM.
    I didn't know they were legal in Northern Island mind or Jersey for that matter.

The lucky blighters!

You can buy them if you have a 7.3 collection, I know several lads who collect Colt firearms or service pistols, they don't have to be historic, sometimes technical merit or design progression is enough.

its rip off of the svi/sti and its about as much of a race gun as my left toe!! but there were think 5 real race guns built by Richard Wilson cir 1990's sold some time last year , they still made way over the cost of this junker lol, Richard still makes them but at Raker trade member on the site in kent but not for our market but top class pistols

Originally Posted by flatliner

Yer, had some good events back in the day at bangor ,

I know of someone in Hampshire who was granted permission for a .357 Magnum....