Thread: New rifle cleaning?

New rifle cleaning?

Hi guys was looking advice on a new rifle. I have never had a center fire from new I always bought second hand. I have a new 243 arriving soon. I would just like to know do you use it as normal and clean? How often? Or do you have to break a new barrel in with so many shots? and then clean? I have heard all sorts of different advice and stories its just incase the manual is not in the box.
    Also how often would you recommend cleaning a rifle. I would try and use mine once a week say no more than half a dozen shots if that when out. I don't clean it after ever outing should I? I never would store it damp.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
    Hi guys was looking advice on a new rifle. I have never had a center fire from new I always bought second hand. I have a new 243 arriving soon. I would just like to know do you use it as normal and clean? How often? Or do you have to break a new barrel in with so many shots? and then clean? I have heard all sorts of different advice and stories its just incase the manual is not in the box.
    Also how often would you recommend cleaning a rifle. I would try and use mine once a week say no more than half a dozen shots if that when out. I don't clean it after ever outing should I? I never would store it damp.
    Open the box.
    Runs a couple of solvent patches through it.
    Patch til dry.

Mount scope.

Go to Range and shoot the hell out of it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Open the box.
    Runs a couple of solvent patches through it.
    Patch til dry.

Mount scope.

Go to Range and shoot the hell out of it.~Muir
    Repeat step 5 as much as you can

Cheers guys always better to ask a question where people understand what they are talking about. I have been told all sorts of stories from guys who don't even shoot that much. I will now get her out and start smoking, have a S&B ready for mounting looking forward!
    Last edited by hillclimber; 21-01-2015 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
    have a S&B ready for mounting looking forward
    That's probably the best way