Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing too hard

Resizing too hard

Hi,
    My first attempt at resizing and it's taking all my strength, and even with the die turned in 1 full turn I'm not getting the die to close on the shell holder. Then I can only extract by unscrewing the die which damaged the cartridge rim (Head?)

Details are Sako 243 cases bought used belied 1 or twice fired. Lee FL die, it says Lee-243-FL6 on it, what does the 6 mean? Lee lube, Lee No2 shell holder, oldish Lee Challenge Press (the joints are a bit wobbly, is that normal?)

Maybe I should anneal a case and try again?

Advice gratefully received.

GH

Are you lubing your cases before sizing

Are you properly lubricating your cases?

Ian

SNAP! Gr1ffer!

Annealing will not make the sizing much easier.

Sounds like not enough lube. Even "hard" cases size easy enough with proper lube. I have never used the Lee stuff, recommend you try something like the Imperial sizing wax or Hornady's one-shot (in the spray can, not the bottle) and see where that gets you. You can also try the RCBS lube that you apply to a pad, works well just a bit more trouble like the Imperial than an aerosol.

SS

+1 on the lube!

I've only just started reloading, but I had a couple of hundred cases of .270 and 22-250 to resize & difference without adequate lube is incredible! After only a few minutes I very quickly realised if I was trying to size a case that didn't have enough lube on it

I'm using Lee case lube, the Challenger press, and Lee dies

I dont understand what you mean when you say "even with the die turned in one full turn i am not gettining the die to close on the shell holder" i can only presume you have not grasped the basics of seting up the die.
    With the ram raised to its full travel, loosen any locking rings on the die and screw it down un till it contacts the top of the shell holder and lock up, simples!!
    Some people say you should advance the another 1/4 turn but there is no need for this, it makes no difference to the sizing of the case an only puts undue stress on the press/die/shellholder

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I dont understand what you mean when you say "even with the die turned in one full turn i am not gettining the die to close on the shell holder" i can only presume you have not grasped the basics of seting up the die.
    With the ram raised to its full travel, loosen any locking rings on the die and screw it down un till it contacts the top of the shell holder and lock up, simples!!
    Some people say you should advance the another 1/4 turn but there is no need for this, it makes no difference to the sizing of the case an only puts undue stress on the press/die/shellholder

Ian.
    I'll add to this,
    If your press is 'a bit loose', do this stage with a lubed case inserted, it takes up any play you have.

Insert case, raise ram, screw down die till it touches shell holder, lock it up, job done.

Regards

Pete

Home | Varminting UK
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

More lube sorted it, I had obviously read too much about the dangers of using too much lube, but I belied I had enough. Now the dies have had a few cases through my original amount seems to work too.

Hay that Lee hand primer is lovely to use isn't it Once I figured out how to get the shell holder in.

Ian, I do get it, the 1/4 turn didn't seem enough so I tried some more but still the press seemed to bottom without sufficient closure.

Thanks All,

GH

Glad you've sorted it

I'm also quite new to reloading and I'd make the following observations:

1. it's amazing how the right amount of lube makes such a difference. Make sure you have the body and the inside and outside of the neck lubed (a cotton bud is useful for the inside). Try to avoid lubing the shoulder.
    2. Regarding the Lee lube, I discovered that it leaves a residue on the neck expander, so it's sensible to dismantle your sizing die and clean it once in a while.
    Have fun!