Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie reloader Cheap digital scales (stupid question no 1)

newbie reloader Cheap digital scales (stupid question no 1)

Would a cheap set of .001g scales similar to this

10g / 0.001g LCD Digital Electronic Pocket Gram Jewelry Diamond Scale Silver | eBay

be any good for double checking my dodgy beam scale setting just to double check i have it right

They seem to measure grains but battery operatyed ones are never great
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Don't bother. I'm pretty sure that scale is in .001 grams. One one-thousandth of a grain is a darned small measurement.

Get a real reloading scale. I have the Lee, they are plenty accurate enough. Find a second hand anything made for reloading.~Muir

I have had this one for a few years now and it seems really good, it also comes with a calibration weight.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151089911802

Regards,
    Gixer

Blog Entries
    I have that one and 3 others and they are a crapfest for reloading.

They are not consistent. Affected by heat, cold, breeze, fluorescent lights and mood.

Don't waste your money. Beam scale or something like the RCBS digital scales.

It's not just the money it's your sanity that will go out of the window.

I once spent ages weighing a box of 500 bullets. Had to do it over again in the end and up to that point reset zero frequently..

Aargh!
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

In my experience the readings given by cheap digital scales are like tarts knickers.
    I use an RCBS 505 with a webcam to my laptop. Accurate beyond belief!
    If you have the patience for them to stop oscillating the Lee scales are as good as any.

Are other brands of beam scales less boingy than the Lee ones? Like you say it takes real patience. Or is the Perfect Powder Measure the solution to turning out a batch?
    GH

Blog Entries
    Yes the cheap Lee scales have very poor magnetic damping of the beam.

Again RCBS or OHAUS which come up on eBay from time to time are much better.

The Perfect Powder measure is a good solution and great value for 20% of cost of the RCBS Uniflow. The Lee model is more plasticy and static prone so takes just a little bit more thought but is a solid performer none the less.
    Last edited by NorthDorset; 22-01-2015 at 11:45.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Lee scales work fine if you don't treat them over agressively (at least mine does!) - if you are gentle with them they settle perfectly ok in a couple of swings. Chuck a load on them too quickly & they take longer. -- At least they aren't over damped, which can lead to poor readings & sticking.

The cheap digital scales I have work ok to +/- 0.1 grain & are pretty repeatable - close enough for double checking powder loads. - I never trust just one scale - always double check.
    It would be nice to have more accuracy but along with that comes more potential interference from temperature/draughts/vibration etc .

The biggest problem I have when weighing & dispensing powder is static. Some of my shoes are good electrical insulators & I have to take them off to earth myself, or powder granules stick to anything plastic (funnels etc) making accurate loading very difficult.

Ian
    Last edited by Yorric; 22-01-2015 at 12:13.

Made my own funnel from the corner of a biz card box, took a couple of hours, total fail because of static LOL.