Nosler 85gn spitzer

geoffrey

Morning all, yesterday i bought a couple of boxes of 6mm 85gn nosler partition spitzers which was the only bullets my local dealer had in stock, having recovered from the shock of the price i was wondering if any forum member use these bullets and could give me their loading data in the hope that i will find a suitable load without using to many on the range, i have h414, h4831, and n140 available, so any load and OAL data you have would be much appreciated, cheers geoff

I assume Geoffrey you are shooting a 243? In which case you may struggle I think to get the required legal MV for deer stalking with such a light weight bullet, but I may be wrong.

In my Speer loading manual for 85g bullets they suggest H414 39grain but magnum primer with a max of 43g. For H4831 they suggest 44g up to a max of 48g compressed load.

Hi Malc. thanks for the information, if my calculations are right an 85gn bullet fired with a MV of 3002 fps is just above 1700ftlb using the formula

MV x MV x bullet weight, devided by 450400 = energy in ftlb. Hope all is well with you Regards geoff

Hello Geoffrey.

Just to validate your post, in my .243win, I use a 87gr SP design bullet, and IMR-4350 powder (which I understand is not the fastest burning). Chronoed MV (average over a 10 shot string) is 3095 fps, and I worked out my ME is 1850 ft/lb.... If you are reloading then you may be able to up your MV by a few FPS, dependant on the powder type / weight, and get a better ME as a result....

All the best.

Neil.

Geoff,

After you had pulled your pants up and stopped wincing...how much did they charge you for 50 85gr Partitions? Ive just bought some for £26 for 50

H414 is the way forward...work up carefully but I get up to 44gr behind a 85gr.

DT

Hi DT wait for it, i paid £40.87 for 50 at kwg Ashford so you can understand why i don't want to use them punching paper, i will try H414 out of interest what OAL do you use? cheers Geoff

Back