Thread: Google Maps and gaining ground

Google Maps and gaining ground

Who on here uses Google maps and the like to scout out likely new permissions and have you had much success?

I spend a fair bit of down time browsing round my area on Google maps seeing what looks like good potential ground. So far I've found one orchard that the owner gave me permission on but my other little permissions have all come from word of mouth or via friends etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Who on here uses Google maps and the like to scout out likely new permissions and have you had much success?

I spend a fair bit of down time browsing round my area on Google maps seeing what looks like good potential ground. So far I've found one orchard that the owner gave me permission on but my other little permissions have all come from word of mouth or via friends etc.
    google maps are a tease, when I have a look I always choose, Thetford, Rendalsham, Ashdown, New and Forest of Dean!, so not a lot of chance there!

nun_hunter, Tried using google and it was a bit of a pain trying to print off so I went and bought a Ordnance Survey Map and when I get any new permissions I ask the farmer to Highlight their particular fields as some of my permission from a couple of farmers is approx 1 mile away from their farms and there is no problem walking the fields a few times to find out the lay of the land, risk assess the area for any probs and where safe shots can be taken etc etc

I use google maps often. It sometimes distracts me from my work when I see a decent block of woodland . I have never used it to scout for new land to shoot on.

Tumbleweed: I print out field maps in black and white of land I have permission to shoot on. Edge the boundaries in red and keep them in my vehicle along with my certificate of shooting (and related activities) insurance. I don't bother with OS maps as, with the exception of the wolds, Lincolnshire has about one contour line running accross it!!!