Extreme cold weather boots

white van man

Are these good havn't seen any bad reports, are they warm and waterproof. And who is a good supplier that can give a choice of size.
Oh yeah is a size 9 a size 9 or do I need to go up a bit especially if wearing thick socks.
cheers Steve.

Do you mean the Military Army Surplus ones Steve ?
If so i have had a few pairs over the years if you wear a proper pair of socks then i found them warm enough but no more warmer than my wellies to be honest, on the waterproof side of things i found them excellent they never leaked or let in water even when they was on their last legs. im a size 9 but found them on the snug side so went up to a 10 which i found fine they also do them in half sizes and different width sizes which is handy.
There used to be a place in Melton Woodbridge that used to stock them dont know if they are still there as i have not been there for a while, theres also an Army surplus place in Sudbury that hold quite a few pairs in stock in all sizes.
The place i use now is the Wholesaler in Essex who supplies the above shops its a bit far from you but they always have plenty of stock in all sizes and will do them at trade price.

Obviously if you didnt mean the above boots please disregard all of the above...! :lol:
Cheers

Last edited:
or this type of thing
These boots are rated by the manufacturers
for temperatures down to -148 °F / -100 °C

If so i have had a few pairs over the years if you wear a proper pair of socks then i found them warm enough but no more warmer than my wellies to be honest, on the waterproof side of things i found them excellent they never leaked or let in water even when they was on their last legs. im a size 9 but found them on the snug side so went up to a 10 which i found fine they also do them in half sizes and different width sizes which is handy.
There used to be a place in Melton Woodbridge that used to stock them dont know if they are still there as i have not been there for a while, theres also an Army surplus place in Sudbury that hold quite a few pairs in stock in all sizes.
The place i use now is the Wholesaler in Essex who supplies the above shops its a bit far from you but they always have plenty of stock in all sizes and will do them at trade price.

Obviously if you didnt mean the above boots please disregard all of the above...! :lol:
Cheers

This concurs with my experience. Treat yourself to a pair of decent insoles though - after 3 solid days on the hill I wished I had done so.

Cheers Robb,
Yes there the ones, where is the wholesaler in Essex as I'm always down there. I popped into Dragon supplies in Colchester and he doesn't stock them but raved over the Lowa's.

Paul O'
B....y he'll mate, it's not that cold here in Suffolk, I would need to trade my Lab in for a couple of Huskies and get a sledge. Mind you my shooting buddy uses a sleeping bag in the high seat.

Thanks for the input guys.
Steve.

i agree with the above, good in soles are a definite necessity, as for their extreme cold weather ability, I would say not so, they are normal at best. in November in eastern Germany, my feet got cold in them....... but that was sitting still in hunting stands for hours, not active stalking, and when used 'normally' they have been faultless, certainly waterproof. Sizing I would say is pretty close to spot on, but that does come down to how you like to wear socks etc, and what insoles you end up with. but for £60 odd they are brilliant.

Decent boots, no warmer than my Meindl burmas and the lack of speed lacing is a pain, mine are a 10L and are slightly too big, should have bought 10M.

I go hunting in Alberta every 3rd November, went last year, -32 deg C, I have given up trying to get "Extreme cold" boots in the UK, our suppliers don't know what it means. I bough a set of Thermal Dunlop wellies for $120 CAD last time I was there and they were better than any U.K boot and sock combo I have taken over the last 15 Yrs or so! The only other source of cold boots I have found to be reasonable were proper chiller /freezer workwear boots here in the U.k, but options are limited. One thing you have to consider is if you are going to be still for any time, It's allways crispy snow at that time so stalking is difficult, I often find myself stationary for hours, then you know if the boots work (or not)! I wear thermals, tracky bottoms, sweater and Harkila outers, plus neck scarf full face mask and still freeze the preverbials after 4 + hrs of standing!

Cheers Robb,
Yes there the ones, where is the wholesaler in Essex as I'm always down there. I popped into Dragon supplies in Colchester and he doesn't stock them but raved over the Lowa's.

Paul O'
B....y he'll mate, it's not that cold here in Suffolk, I would need to trade my Lab in for a couple of Huskies and get a sledge. Mind you my shooting buddy uses a sleeping bag in the high seat.

Thanks for the input guys.
Steve.

I use this one Steve - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQoAIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ew-trading.com%2F&ei=00bBVKmLK4yt7AbpzYGADQ&usg=AFQjCNFBTRzRF6BLhhcEQlw2-A_Y-YCSIA&sig2=zdhWiFprEfsmvm1li3udjw&bvm=bv.83829542,d.ZGU

Its best to ring first to make sure that they have not just shipped out the item you are after - Andy is the man to talk to not everything is shown on the website so dont go by that, im going there tomorrow i will have a look while im in there to see what they have.

You can also use these - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QoAIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fieldtextiles.co.uk%2F&ei=00bBVKmLK4yt7AbpzYGADQ&usg=AFQjCNFo5_A213xDa9fUGMaCBw40-4ZNsA&sig2=nwznZP3dr-5hMzi45a5xLw&bvm=bv.83829542,d.ZGU

They are wholesale only but if they have what you want you can normally get it from them, Speak to Andy at East West first if he is out of stock he will know who should have some.

i used to use tay sport muck boots good for sub zero but lack grip so snow clips are needed. skee tex ( www.skee-tex.co.uk ) up the road from me are very good used them for years winter pike fishing ,for me welly's are better when nr water and deep'ish wading in mud slush ! , now i have got forester h vent 5mm but hav't been out in the real cold as yet due to the lack of it my way lol.

Cheers

Rob.
Hi. Please could you state who this Essex wholesaler is. I need some good boots and have to use inserts,so need to try before I buy. I would like to look at Altbergs but don't fancy driving to Yorkshire.

ATB Bryan.

Rob.
Hi. Please could you state who this Essex wholesaler is. I need some good boots and have to use inserts,so need to try before I buy. I would like to look at Altbergs but don't fancy driving to Yorkshire.

ATB Bryan.

Bryan i use

East West Trading
Unit C Wrexham Road, Laindon, Essex SS15 6PX
01268 931807

If they have not got what you want at the time the you can try

Field Textiles Ltd
Unit A1 & A2, Burnt Mills Industrial Estate, Hovefields Avenue, Basildon, Essex SS13 1EB
Phone:01268 729233

Phone East West Trading first and talk to Andy.
Hope this helps

Rob

Last edited:
i used to use tay sport muck boots good for sub zero but lack grip so snow clips are needed. skee tex ( www.skee-tex.co.uk ) up the road from me are very good used them for years winter pike fishing ,for me welly's are better when nr water and deep'ish wading in mud slush ! , now i have got forester h vent 5mm but hav't been out in the real cold as yet due to the lack of it my way lol.

I bought the Tay Artic sport as said above not great grip in snow. What i find when sitting out in sub zero temps is to keep your legs warm. Cold legs = cold feet no matter how good your boots are. I bought a cold weather overall and stay nice and warm even when your breath and snott freeze on the front of said overall.

Back