Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy rifles

Heavy rifles

I'm looking for a fairly heavy rifle to buy in a pretty kicky calibre. I'm applying for a .338 Win Mag and know it's not going to be gentle so some weight would be good!

My H&H when I had it was a BRNO 602. Even in .375 I could fire 20 rounds through it from prone in a t-shirt without feeling any discomfort. It was a heavy gun, but didn't feel it if you know what I mean? It wasn't front heavy like the heavy barrelled rifles (Tikka Varmint etc). I've looked at the CZ site and they don't do a .338WM. I've looked for used rifles in all of the rimmed case calibres that I know (.300H&H, .300WM, .300 Weatherby, .375H&H, 458WM) and there are no cheap ones so that's the re-barrel option out.

What's available? Do any of you have a heavy sporter that really cuts down on the recoil? My Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 gives me a fair wallop so in .338 it would rattle my teeth out! I wish CZ did one!

try putting lead shot in the holow but mate this is what bench rest shooters do recoil comes straight back if noise is not a problem then fit a musle brack this reduses recoil more than a t8 a lead strip velcroed to the underside of your gun will help as well as long as you dont have to walk to far this will cure your problem all the best rob

Mauser M03 can be had in .338 WM. The recoil might not rattle your teeth but the price certainly will.

www.prokennel.se

You can always use a PAST recoil shield and a Pachmyer decelerator pad.

Recoil shield? Is that one of those plates that you wear? Not for me I don't think, not when hunting.

The decent recoil pad is a good idea. I had a kick-eez on my .375 but never knew how much it actually helped because I didn't fire it until it was fitted!

The thing I like about the .338 is that with some powders you can get the energy right down to 2500ft-lbs with a light bullet. That's not squib loads, that's a near full case of what I assume would be very slow powder. So you can shoot it at the same sort of power level as a .308 with ease.

I'll see what the recoil is like. I don't want to wind it right down because that's daft but at the same time you don't need 4500ft-lbs to shoot a Roe (or even a Red Stag for that matter)!

I've got too many guns but at the same time really want to have something I can get to know for use abroad. If I can find a .338 bullet that doesn't do too much damage I may well pass on the 6.5. My theory is that as long as I don't drive them too fast they shouldn't make too much mess?

EDIT... It will be moderated. I'm thinking an Ase Utra S7.
    Last edited by njc110381; 18-03-2010 at 21:44.

They do em for hunters too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAST-FIELD-SHI...item563a9c5522 for wear under your clothing. Recoil is highly subjective though and can be gotten over largely by just ignoring it. Worked for me with my .458 Win Mag.
    You thought about a 7mm Rem Mag?
    Last edited by matt458; 19-03-2010 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    I'm looking for a fairly heavy rifle to buy in a pretty kicky calibre. I'm applying for a .338 Win Mag and know it's not going to be gentle so some weight would be good!

My H&H when I had it was a BRNO 602. Even in .375 I could fire 20 rounds through it from prone in a t-shirt without feeling any discomfort. It was a heavy gun, but didn't feel it if you know what I mean? It wasn't front heavy like the heavy barrelled rifles (Tikka Varmint etc). I've looked at the CZ site and they don't do a .338WM. I've looked for used rifles in all of the rimmed case calibres that I know (.300H&H, .300WM, .300 Weatherby, .375H&H, 458WM) and there are no cheap ones so that's the re-barrel option out.

What's available? Do any of you have a heavy sporter that really cuts down on the recoil? My Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 gives me a fair wallop so in .338 it would rattle my teeth out! I wish CZ did one!
    If the BRNO 602 in 375 H&H suited so well, why don't you get another?? Sounds like a fine rifle to me.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    My Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 gives me a fair wallop so in .338 it would rattle my teeth out! I wish CZ did one!
    njc110381,

With regards your T3 ,I put a Limbsaver precision fit recoil pad on mine and that really soaked up the recoil!
    https://www.limbsaver.com/store/home.php?cat=266

For a Tikka T3 you need size 10011

Jonathan
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    If the BRNO 602 in 375 H&H suited so well, why don't you get another?? Sounds like a fine rifle to me.~Muir
    Muir, you will open an old wound with that question. Unfortunately Njc became a victim of our arcane and nonsesical firearms licensing system. His firearms department decided in their own inimitable wisdom that .375HH is too much gun for the stalking he was doing. The fact that it is one of the only "big game" rounds that meet the species energy and speed requirement tables that our beloved police use, seems to count for nothing.

There are firearms departments that will let you have them, especially if you have access to wild boar, but not Njc's.

If only we had the same system as New Zealand, where they license the person not the gun.

Yours bewilderedly, ft
    Last edited by flytie; 19-03-2010 at 13:09. Reason: spelling
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.