Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawrence Precision Zodiac moderator information wanted

I am just a bit distrustful as he was rude to say the least with me and he clearly felt badly done by, selling at "cost price of materials". Has anyone else got a Zodiac to compare, seems like 8 is the right No of baffles but Simon's attitude has made me question this, as he really didn't like selling at 1/2 price! I suspect you are right, I am sure he would sell exactly what I ordered, but why all the grief?

Cheers

Simon O

I have to say in his defence I asked Simon loads of questions and even when I had issues fitting the mod he was helpful and replied to my emails quickly. Maybe I was the last straw and broke his resolve

Thanks for the heads up fellas!
    just ordered a Zodiac from Mr Lawrence 400 plus post, cant wait!
    Will sell my T8 soon.

Cheers for all the help and info, I don't think the sale went as he wanted, but still got lifetime moderators at a price I could afford! He answered my questions in the main too, its just he didn't tell me of all the conditions of the sale, i.e threads available are 1/2 UNF or 14 X 1, anything else is more, non standard much more, you get black never mind what you ask for, other than that and putting the phone down on me 1/2 way through a conversation as he didn't like being questioned about the cost of the unusual 14 X 1.5 thread I have on one rifle, all has been O.K!

For ref Mine have 8 baffles and weigh approx 520gr ea.

I am very interested to see what others think of the sound reduction, especially if they can compare to off the shelf mods like the T8, keep me informed please, all good info,

Best regards,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SaOsborne View Post
    Cheers for all the help and info, I don't think the sale went as he wanted, but still got lifetime moderators at a price I could afford! He answered my questions in the main too, its just he didn't tell me of all the conditions of the sale, i.e threads available are 1/2 UNF or 14 X 1, anything else is more, non standard much more, you get black never mind what you ask for, other than that and putting the phone down on me 1/2 way through a conversation as he didn't like being questioned about the cost of the unusual 14 X 1.5 thread I have on one rifle, all has been O.K!

For ref Mine have 8 baffles and weigh approx 520gr ea.

I am very interested to see what others think of the sound reduction, especially if they can compare to off the shelf mods like the T8, keep me informed please, all good info,

Best regards,

Simon

I have a .30 cal Zodiac which I also use on my .243,not quite as quiet as my T8 was but,the rifle is far more balanced/manageable. As mentioned earlier i feel the sound moderation will improve as it beds in and probably will match the T8. I wouldnt be without mine. Simon is an odd bod to deal with but his kit is good.....

How much do these moderators cost guys?
    Wouldn't you be cheaper and possibly better sound reductions with a Jetz or SL5?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    How much do these moderators cost guys?
    Wouldn't you be cheaper and possibly better sound reductions with a Jetz or SL5?
    ive got a LP aurora on my 6.5 it weighs 300g it won't gas cut , it's over barrel , it won't rust and its really quiet

SL5 and jet z compact are very good and I have nothing bad to say about them but they are very heavy i would choose my aurora over an SL5 / jet z any day on a stalking rifle

Jet z / SL5 may be a bit quieter but when you only take 1,2 or 3 shots an outing a few DBs dont make much difference

Pointabity and balance are more important to me. than outright Db reduction

LP usually charge around 600 each but he's had a clear out / sale at half price just lately so 300

I got the Zodiac's in LP's sale @ 400 Ea plus RFD shipping and 30 the have 16 X 1 in one of them. I have had it about 2+ weeks now, been on the range to zero and shoot a sporting rifle comp, out stalking a good deal with over 70 rnds through it since then. Its a heck of a change from my big and heavy custom moderator before in good and bad ways. It is far noisier, hence one of the reasons I started this thread, as it is half the size, but as has been pointed out by others, as it beds in and the threadlock burns off and carbon etc fills the gaps, it has become more pleasant (or I have just got used to it?). It is lighter at 520grm, not the lightest but it is not too small to be effective (moderators need volume to slow the gasses), but the reduced weight means muzzle flip is greater. The rifle handles better, though I didn't have issues before anyhow, but many seem to have issues with too much upfront weight.
    Overall it is good and very well engineered. I went for it as it was in the sale and will last my lifetime (I hope) whereas my custom ali mod before started corroding badly after a good 7 years.

Would I pay full price at 695, no way, I would look at other options.

Oh forgot to say, for me sound reduction is very important, as I have to shoot in many areas close to well used public footpaths and close to housing, hence why my disappointment on the sound front. I also hate disturbing the environ more than needed anyhow. I am unsure how to classify the sound, it seems a shorter more contained but but harsher boom than my previous mod but always being behind the rifle I am not sure how different it sounds further out.
    Last edited by SaOsborne; 01-02-2015 at 23:14. Reason: Sound comment