Lawrence Precision Zodiac moderator information wanted

SaOsborne

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how many baffles are in the Zodiac moderator by checking theirs. I will go back to Simon once I can confirm this, but want to know what has been supplied before I do.:confused:

Regards,

Simon

Hi, Sorry for not replying, been away, didn't plan that well! If you would check the Eclipse that will be helpful,

Many thanks,

Simon

Hi Simon, you do know Simon L is doing some good deals on some of them at the moment, that's if he has any left, they were going at half his rrp so on a par with other moderators.

Hi Simon, you do know Simon L is doing some good deals on some of them at the moment, that's if he has any left, they were going at half his rrp so on a par with other moderators.

Thats why I bouight mine, £25 more than a Hardy yet being titanium it'll outlast the Hardy by some considerable time.

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how many baffles are in the Zodiac moderator by checking theirs. I will go back to Simon once I can confirm this, but want to know what has been supplied before I do.:confused:

Regards,

Simon

Cutting to (what I think) is the chase here - the Eclipse and Zodiac are the same dimensions - the only difference is an extra baffle. I am aware that SL has put Eclipse end caps on Zodiac modes, because it was what he had in supplying the run out stock. I think numbers of baffles are specified on the website?

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered and received 2 Zodiac's in the sale, LP was not as helpful as I expected ,advising me he was selling these at cost of materials only, and as such didn't have much time for anything non standard. My query is as no mention of baffle No's is mentioned and the "Eclipse and Zodiac are the same can how can I tell this is a Zodiac. I am surprised at how much blast is evident from my .243 compared to my admittedly much larger previous can. I have 8 Baffles fitted can anyone clear up if this is correct for the Zodiac.

Many thanks,

Simon

I've got a LP aurora on a 6.5 x 55 I'm not sure how many baffles but I will check and to be fair I really don't notice it being loud when taking a shot the exit hole is 7.8 mm with 21 inch barrel

im surprised that you feel your eclipse / zodiac is loud / has noticeable muzzle blast with a 243 what's your exit hole diameter ? If it's cal specific your 243 being 6 mm ish would have an exit hole diameter of about 7.3 mm at a guess

could be worth checking

Hi Mark,

Mine is for 6.5mm max as used on 2 rifles, with an exit of 8mm. I discussed this with Simon @ LP, he agreed it would make no perceivable difference as 6mm would be 7.5mm exit anyhow. My old mod is 8mm exit and is much quieter. This is almost uncomfortable, even though the blast is short and well contained, but is notibaly louder. I have no other factory mod to compare to, my old mod was a custom and is not a fair comparison as its volume is huge compared to this one, though it does prove nothing beats volume if you want to quieten things down!

regards,

Simon

Simon, I don't think a baffle either way is the issue here - albeit that I would want to assure myself I had bought what I ordered - indeed I had the very same conversation - and got the same response as you.

What I can identify is that a titanium moderator has a different resonance to it and until it beds in and gets a bit of muck in it to seal it a bit, it probably does sound louder. When you step away, and hear someone else fire it you will notice a difference though.

I'm not excusing LP customer service here, which has been poor - selling cheap, whatever the reason does not give one the right to be off-hand or rude - but I don't think he's dishonest. He will have supplied what was ordered.

I ordered a Zodiac - while mine says Eclipse on it, I am assured that the eight baffles it contains is the Zodiac spec - and that he didn't have a Zodiac end cap. If that's the compromise I have to make for a half price mod.....

I am just a bit distrustful as he was rude to say the least with me and he clearly felt badly done by, selling at "cost price of materials". Has anyone else got a Zodiac to compare, seems like 8 is the right No of baffles but Simon's attitude has made me question this, as he really didn't like selling at 1/2 price! I suspect you are right, I am sure he would sell exactly what I ordered, but why all the grief?

Cheers

Simon O

I have to say in his defence I asked Simon loads of questions and even when I had issues fitting the mod he was helpful and replied to my emails quickly. Maybe I was the last straw and broke his resolve:D

Thanks for the heads up fellas!
just ordered a Zodiac from Mr Lawrence £400 plus post, cant wait!
Will sell my T8 soon.

Cheers for all the help and info, I don't think the sale went as he wanted, but still got lifetime moderators at a price I could afford! He answered my questions in the main too, its just he didn't tell me of all the conditions of the sale, i.e threads available are 1/2 UNF or 14 X 1, anything else is more, non standard much more, you get black never mind what you ask for, other than that and putting the phone down on me 1/2 way through a conversation as he didn't like being questioned about the cost of the unusual 14 X 1.5 thread I have on one rifle, all has been O.K!

For ref Mine have 8 baffles and weigh approx 520gr ea.

I am very interested to see what others think of the sound reduction, especially if they can compare to off the shelf mods like the T8, keep me informed please, all good info,

Best regards,

Simon

Cheers for all the help and info, I don't think the sale went as he wanted, but still got lifetime moderators at a price I could afford! He answered my questions in the main too, its just he didn't tell me of all the conditions of the sale, i.e threads available are 1/2 UNF or 14 X 1, anything else is more, non standard much more, you get black never mind what you ask for, other than that and putting the phone down on me 1/2 way through a conversation as he didn't like being questioned about the cost of the unusual 14 X 1.5 thread I have on one rifle, all has been O.K!

For ref Mine have 8 baffles and weigh approx 520gr ea.

I am very interested to see what others think of the sound reduction, especially if they can compare to off the shelf mods like the T8, keep me informed please, all good info,

Best regards,

Simon

I have a .30 cal Zodiac which I also use on my .243,not quite as quiet as my T8 was but,the rifle is far more balanced/manageable. As mentioned earlier i feel the sound moderation will improve as it beds in and probably will match the T8. I wouldnt be without mine. Simon is an odd bod to deal with but his kit is good.....

How much do these moderators cost guys?
Wouldn't you be cheaper and possibly better sound reductions with a Jetz or SL5?

How much do these moderators cost guys?
Wouldn't you be cheaper and possibly better sound reductions with a Jetz or SL5?

ive got a LP aurora on my 6.5 it weighs 300g it won't gas cut , it's over barrel , it won't rust and its really quiet

SL5 and jet z compact are very good and I have nothing bad to say about them but they are very heavy i would choose my aurora over an SL5 / jet z any day on a stalking rifle

Jet z / SL5 may be a bit quieter but when you only take 1,2 or 3 shots an outing a few DBs dont make much difference

Pointabity and balance are more important to me. than outright Db reduction

LP usually charge around £600 each but he's had a clear out / sale at half price just lately so £300

I got the Zodiac's in LP's sale @ £400 Ea plus RFD shipping and £30 the have 16 X 1 in one of them. I have had it about 2+ weeks now, been on the range to zero and shoot a sporting rifle comp, out stalking a good deal with over 70 rnds through it since then. Its a heck of a change from my big and heavy custom moderator before in good and bad ways. It is far noisier, hence one of the reasons I started this thread, as it is half the size, but as has been pointed out by others, as it beds in and the threadlock burns off and carbon etc fills the gaps, it has become more pleasant (or I have just got used to it?). It is lighter at 520grm, not the lightest but it is not too small to be effective (moderators need volume to slow the gasses), but the reduced weight means muzzle flip is greater. The rifle handles better, though I didn't have issues before anyhow, but many seem to have issues with too much upfront weight.
Overall it is good and very well engineered. I went for it as it was in the sale and will last my lifetime (I hope) whereas my custom ali mod before started corroding badly after a good 7 years.

Would I pay full price at £695, no way, I would look at other options.

Oh forgot to say, for me sound reduction is very important, as I have to shoot in many areas close to well used public footpaths and close to housing, hence why my disappointment on the sound front. I also hate disturbing the environ more than needed anyhow. I am unsure how to classify the sound, it seems a shorter more contained but but harsher boom than my previous mod but always being behind the rifle I am not sure how different it sounds further out.

Last edited:
Back