Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dundee Courier

Dundee Courier

Any one seen this mornings Courier, massive deer cull in Perthshire has been given the go ahead
    according to the paper deer numbers in Perthshire are four times higher than they should be

Three areas in particular get a mention, they say that marksmen are to be drafted in to carry out the cull.

Thoughts guys , from those that have read the article and especially from those living and stalking in the area ,particularly any pros covering any of the areas mentioned.

I've not seen the article, but is this referring to fallow deer in particular?

The article is just the same old same old from bunny huggers whoo would rwrite the exactly the same wot ever was to be killed. Nothing new there.
    And in true jornalistic fashion a nice picture of fallow in an article about Red and Roe. Do they just google or search for the first decent deer pic for there articl no matter wot breed?

The only question is, Is there too many deer in those area's? I don't know them so have no idea.

Would imagine the whole story has been grossly exagerated, by either the press or bunny huggers, they probably objected to 'normal deer management' years ago as we all know nature looks after itself and created the problem in the first place.
    See these types of stories all the time often on nature reserves as they have put of carrying out proper managemnet and end up having to be sevre so just creating boom/bust populations

No real detail in the article, how many deer are they talking about?

As said, it's pretty crappy journalism and if I read it properly, it's the council who are quoted? This type of decision would have to come from SNH, council "ok" is nice but not at all neccessary.

Would be good to get the "real story".

Well, I bought The Courier this morning as I saw the Red Deer stag on the cover. I don't know where the comments about the Fallow come from - maybe the online article.
    I don't know the ground at Alyth, but I do know Kinnoul and The Birks and it will be a bloody nightmare stalking those areas. They are very extensively used, probably at all hours of the day and night, so it will be a case of extreme caution being applied at all times - with the added attraction of abuse from members of the public who see the bambi slayers at work. One chap I heard of - not in this area - had a metal spike driven through the grill and radiator on his car.
    So, the numbers may well be right. Achieving the cull might be a real challenge but if it's got to be done, it's got to be done. A tough job for the cooncil PR Dept!
    The Courier reports that Animal Aid urged the people of Perthshire to demand " a way forward that does not involve animal slaughter."
    Readers from elsewhere should be aware that, in the recent past, the main road North has been closed at times to allow deer near the road to be culled. I dont recall Animal Aid saying much about that.

Council, Site of Special Scientific Interest, Animal activists, Journalists plus Joe and Josephine public.
    Oh, and some deer.

An interesting mixture, should be worth watching.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I know the area around Kinnoull Hill reasonably well, and there may well be a fair few deer in the area, as to the best of my knowledge no one stalks the surrounding area. As previously mentioned, it is used extensively by dog walkers etc so any one taking that gig on would have to be very careful. As to the article, the usual quotes are dragged up about too many deer (red) when the species in question are roe. It mentions a density of 14 to 20 roe per square Km, with thoughts of taking this down to 4 to 8 per square KM (I think). Given the size of the area, it's hardly a massive cull, but headlines sell newspapers.......

I drive the a90 a lot. There's often a speed camera van parked by the dual carriageway at the foot of Kinnoull Hill. I hope that any shots fired don't frighten the operators
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    I don't know the ground at Alyth, but I do know Kinnoul and The Birks and it will be a bloody nightmare stalking those areas. They are very extensively used, probably at all hours of the day and night, so it will be a case of extreme caution being applied at all times - with the added attraction of abuse from members of the public who see the bambi slayers at work
    Alyth is similar. There's extensive common ground that's very heavily-used. Not sure how Strathmore or Kinpurnie estates will feel about this proposed cull, either..........for Strathmore especially, heavy population of deer is a good thing as they cater for a lot of European hunters.

On the plus side, there's a remote possibility that this activity may serve to move deer onto my permission