Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so humane dispatch

Not so humane dispatch

Police officers who beat injured deer to death with a crowbar will keep their jobs - Crime - UK - The Independent

Surely they have a list of experienced individuals they can call upon to do this properly.

Not all Police Forces do.

Sussex does but even then the stalkers who do volunteer have to state between what hours they are willing to be called out and up to a certain distance from the home address, so some areas get lots of people covering while others have none and usually in the wee hours no one wants to be called.

Wher is there a list of courses for humane dispatch, been looking online and can't find any. I would gladly volunteer to save the animal suffering.
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

Quote Originally Posted by dom8328 View Post
    Wher is there a list of courses for humane dispatch, been looking online and can't find any. I would gladly volunteer to save the animal suffering.
    Think Jelen run courses from time to time

BDS do.

But this was a couple of days after the initial incident.

Whilst stalkers may may put down hours and distances I am sure most would travel anywhere within their county if no one else was available. I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    BDS do.

But this was a couple of days after the initial incident.

Whilst stalkers may may put down hours and distances I am sure most would travel anywhere within their county if no one else was available. I would.
    Maybe you would but not all are as altruistic as you. I know a lot do it for the right reasons but a fair few do it for free feed for their dogs or other outlets.

Also If you live in a high deer collision area such as along the A22 through Ashdown Forest then there are usually a couple of RTCs each day so however good your intentions are to start with after getting called out in the middle of the night for a few nights running you may find your resolve waivering, not to mention how pee'd off the wife is!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    Police officers who beat injured deer to death with a crowbar will keep their jobs - Crime - UK - The Independent

Surely they have a list of experienced individuals they can call upon to do this properly.
    Not so humane dispatch

Why did you start the thread under that title ?
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Nothing wrong with the way of dispatch as long as it was quick,

If I came across such an incident then blunt force trauma to the head is an acceptable method IMO. I imagine not quite as large a stag as in the stock photo.....

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If I came across such an incident then blunt force trauma to the head is an acceptable method IMO. I imagine not quite as large a stag as in the stock photo.....
    This happened close to one of my permissions, the deer involved was a young Roe doe and there was talk of it already being dead when the officer struck it.