Not so humane dispatch

Not all Police Forces do.

Sussex does but even then the stalkers who do volunteer have to state between what hours they are willing to be called out and up to a certain distance from the home address, so some areas get lots of people covering while others have none and usually in the wee hours no one wants to be called.

Wher is there a list of courses for humane dispatch, been looking online and can't find any. I would gladly volunteer to save the animal suffering.

BDS do.

But this was a couple of days after the initial incident.

Whilst stalkers may may put down hours and distances I am sure most would travel anywhere within their county if no one else was available. I would.

BDS do.

But this was a couple of days after the initial incident.

Whilst stalkers may may put down hours and distances I am sure most would travel anywhere within their county if no one else was available. I would.

Maybe you would but not all are as altruistic as you. I know a lot do it for the right reasons but a fair few do it for free feed for their dogs or other outlets.

Also If you live in a high deer collision area such as along the A22 through Ashdown Forest then there are usually a couple of RTCs each day so however good your intentions are to start with after getting called out in the middle of the night for a few nights running you may find your resolve waivering, not to mention how pee'd off the wife is!

If I came across such an incident then blunt force trauma to the head is an acceptable method IMO. I imagine not quite as large a stag as in the stock photo.....

If I came across such an incident then blunt force trauma to the head is an acceptable method IMO. I imagine not quite as large a stag as in the stock photo.....

This happened close to one of my permissions, the deer involved was a young Roe doe and there was talk of it already being dead when the officer struck it.

It would be useful to understand better the circumstances surrounding this story, such as 'why' the officers did what they did; 'the reason' for firearms not being deployed; 'who' the witnesses were; 'what' conduct code was broken; and, why the complaints were raised.

I am struck by the increasing pressure our police forces already have on force numbers (let alone budgets), it seems positively illogical to suspend both from firearms duties; the cost of training is significant, and a time when (for reasons that are obvious) there is an increasing demand for suitably trained officers.

If that PCC were my PCC he would not be getting my vote; he has damned those officers' without being very detailed as to why. Notably, Mike Barton (CC) is quiet on the issue.
Hate to say it chaps but it was only a deer at the end of the day, it was injured/out of sorts and now it is dead; mission accomplished most would say.

:?:

Last edited:
Why did they not involve a trained person (ie someone who knows what they are doing) at the initial incident? I think they would most likely have shot the deer then. Why was a trained person not involved in the follow up?

As to the use of a crow bar etc, is this a method recommended on the HD course?, it is not in any of the material I have seen. Furthermore, if I used this method on a farm animal I think I would find myself in court rather quickly.

The two officers don't sound like they will be troubling MENSA anytime soon so perhaps being relieved from firearms duty is no bad thing.

It would be useful to understand better the circumstances surrounding this story, such as 'why' the officers did what they did; 'the reason' for firearms not being deployed; 'who' the witnesses were; 'what' conduct code was broken; and, why the complaints were raised.

I am struck by the increasing pressure our police forces already have on force numbers (let alone budgets), it seems positively illogical to suspend both from firearms duties; the cost of training is significant, and a time when (for reasons that are obvious) there is an increasing demand for suitably trained officers.

If that PCC were my PCC he would not be getting my vote; he has damned those officers' without being very detailed as to why. Notably, Mike Barton (CC) is quiet on the issue.
Hate to say it chaps but it was only a deer at the end of the day, it was injured/out of sorts and now it is dead; mission accomplished most would say.

:?:

I agree.

It seems odd that the main issue has become the use of the crowbar - a perfectly legit means of killing an injured deer.
The bit that make me wonder about their having having adequate training is the circumstance that the killing blow was struck two days after they'd moved the injured beast to the roadside to see whether it would get better.

Why did they not involve a trained person (ie someone who knows what they are doing) at the initial incident? I think they would most likely have shot the deer then. Why was a trained person not involved in the follow up?

As to the use of a crow bar etc, is this a method recommended on the HD course?, it is not in any of the material I have seen. Furthermore, if I used this method on a farm animal I think I would find myself in court rather quickly.

The two officers don't sound like they will be troubling MENSA anytime soon so perhaps being relieved from firearms duty is no bad thing.

you mean like someone with DSC1, :rofl: ring DEFRA blunt force is a legal means, actually there is no legal means, what you must not do is cause unnessary suffering, note the word " unnessary " as all methods of dispatch could be seen to cause suffering.

What is certain is the press will never get in the way of a good story, and like most things there is much more to it than meets the eye.

Use of a crow bar, wheel brace etc is a pretty brutal way to put something out of its misery and you could well need a number of blows. You have to balance short term trauma versus overall welfare issue. In any RTA situation it's very unlikely firearms will be immediately available and you have to balance use of an implement to hand versus additional suffering from awaiting firearms.

As as to police firearms officers, don't they have to get clearance etc before using their weapons. Putting a small sick doe that had hopped would recover out if it's misery with a crow bar and without the need for paperwork seems quite a logical thing to do - and that is if they had their weapons with them and it doesn't say whether or not they did. But bashing anything over the head is not a pleasant sight to anybody.

...Use of a crow bar, wheel brace etc is a pretty brutal way to put something out of its misery and you could well need a number of blows.
Suspect more people have been killed through the above methods than deer, although not for the purposes of 'putting out of misery'!

Whatever the experts on here think. There has been a hearing and that hearing considered all the evidence, verdict reached and punishment meted out. The officers have been deemed not fit to carry firearms, but get to keep their jobs.

I gather the officers will not be appealing to a panel of SD Experts, so it does seem to be the end of the matter.

Back