Thread: Best scope for plains game

Best scope for plains game

Hi all

I'm after some advice. My lovely wife has bought me a plains game management package for April and I'm sorting out all the bits and pieces that I'll be taking. I'll be taking my 7mm08 and I fortunately have the choice of either my much loved S&B 3-12x50 or my Kahles 1.1x4x24. I can take both I guess but just wondered whether the experienced old hands had any wisdom to impart ?

Thanks in advance

FN

depends where you are If you are likely to be in bushveld or riverine scrub (in say Limpopo) then I would go with the lower power, you are likely to be shooting 30-100 yards max. If you are in Eastern Cape where mountains much more open with high grass pastures or say the Karoo go with the higher power - and take your bipod too. You wont usually be shooting when light falling unlike here as generally don't in Africa on PG as want to avoid wounds and night time follow ups. Not really a long twilight there, night drops more quickly

Just as an aside I shot an impala at 260 yards with a 1.25-4 by 24 swaro turned up to 4 on my .375 so with your lower power and lighter scope anyway you will be ok for the odd longer shot and appreciate the weight save probably

In the end tho its down to which will give you the most confidence

David

Recon the 7-08 would an ideal calibre and the 3-12x50 S&B very close to perfect also.
    I had precision hunter turrets fitted to both of my 3-12x50 S&B's. Safer to dial in than guess if a shot is bit further out.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by Fabnosh View Post
    Hi all

I'm after some advice. My lovely wife has bought me a plains game management package for April and I'm sorting out all the bits and pieces that I'll be taking. I'll be taking my 7mm08 and I fortunately have the choice of either my much loved S&B 3-12x50 or my Kahles 1.1x4x24. I can take both I guess but just wondered whether the experienced old hands had any wisdom to impart ?

Thanks in advance

FN
    FN,

I would go with the Kahles. All I use in Africa, 1 - 4 x 24
    You need to be ready for the close shot all the time. You never know what will suddenly step out. Wide angle of view at low mag.
    On more open ground if x4 magnification isn't enough for you then get closer.

Stan

you could consider trading both in for a new S&B zenith 1.5-6x42 which would cover you for all eventualities, anywhere really, both on home turf and abroad.

I would say what ever scope you currently use.

Personally I've hunted a fair bit of plains game. I've only ever used a 4-16x50 PV, which has been great.

Most of my shots were between 100 and 300 metres so I've found the higher mag useful.

S&B 3-12x50 , would be perfect. 3 X is fine at close range , at longer range you can dial up to 12 as you desire. I practise on running boar a few times a year and much prefer 3X at 50m over a smaller magnification.

I would take both, indeed both mounted in a set of rings and sighted in, along with tools to switch them over. But I would go with whichever one you use on a regular basis and most comfortable with. Plains game vary in size from muntjac sized duikers, slender klip springer (small roe), springbok and gazelle - roe deer sized up to kudu which are the size of a reasonable horse. Most of Africa is pretty scrubby, and most shots need to taken quite quickly. If I was using the 3-12 I would keep it on low power.

by taking both you could switch, but also you have a backup.

Thank for all the advice.

I'm comfortable and well practiced with both scopes and chop and change them on the same rifle regularly so from that aspect I'm quite happy to use either. Reading the comments I'll use the 3-12x50 but take the other along - it's hardly a big overhead to do that and, as one commentator noted, it'll give me a back up.

Thanks

FN