Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel sickness in my teckel

Travel sickness in my teckel

Just returned from a little holiday and my youngest teckel suffers from bad travel sickness.
    i don't feed her in the morning if I am travelling early. It tends to be about 45 minutes driving she'll start to salivate then vomit.

Any suggestions......remedies before a trip to the vets to try and sort it out. I need to get it sorted quickly before travelling in a car may become an issue.

Many years ago I had a border collie who suffered from travel sickness. I was advised to put him in a place where he could not see out. At the time it was suggested that I tie his leash onto the passenger seat frame and let him sit in the floorwell. Sorted. The thinking was the motion of the car combined with seeing movement from the rear of the estate car was bringing on the sickness. That dog ended up always travelling in the footwell without the leash but was never sick.

Try the adaptil collar or spray - speak to your vet nurse about it

There is a tablet you can give them from the vets. Generally drive steady and build up distance and they get used to it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Cheers, it tends to be on country road which I'm average idly doing about 45mph that she doesn't like even if she doesn't have much if any food in her stomach she will retch to she salivates bad.

Think I'll takemher to the vet need to get it sorted otherwise going to be a night mare travelling which may lead to n issue putting her in the car..

My other dacshund today had her annual booster.
    while a brief discussion with the vet she suggested a herbie called skullcap and valerium which wasn't so bad at cost, but a drug she recommend was a drug at four tablets at a cost of 20 four to be used prior a trip which isn't cost affective to me forgot the name sorry. I'm sure the vets on here will know the name.

Anyone used the skullcap herble remedies ...??

I'm not sure if he came up with the line but Tim Minchin (the singing comedian) said "you know what they all the alternative medicine that has been proven to work - medicine".

Th expensive tablets are called Cerenia.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Try feeding it some ginger biscuits,works for my spaniels....

Yeh, several people have said that too mate and it has worked for them.

My collie used to suffer badly. I just persevered and travelled her v v regularly making a fuss of her and having someone playing a game. She is now 110% in the car, she corners and even understands what indicators mean! If you only have the chance to travel the dog infrequently this may prove to be difficult but it worked for mine!

It is an unfortunate irony of Cerenia that it can actually make them vomit! I have also not found it to be completely reliable even when used exactly as advised.