Can you have 2 x .243 rifles on your licence ?

.243 t3

Hi everyone,

Was just after some information about having 2 x .243 rifles on your licence?
I currently have a tikka .243 with a heavy duty barrel on my licence and won't a straight pull .243 as she getting abit old now, problem is the tikka has sentimental value to me and I don't won't to sell or change it. Can I apply for another .243 ? And if so what reason would I give?

Regards

Matt

Basically, as you intimate, you need a good reason to have each rifle. I don't even know what you use the .243 you have got for, so it's difficult to assess what you would need another one for. Sentimental reasons won't cut it, I guess you know, unless you perhaps get it deactivated so you don't then need it on a certificate, but I guess you wouldn't want that.

Examples of why you may have more than one rifle of the same calibre can be: One for target shooting and one for stalking. One for use in the dark and one for day use (different scopes). Perhaps you do two types of stalking, hill and woodland. You could argue you need a lighter rifle for hill stalking and different scopes on them.

Instead of buying a new rifle and having two, if you don't really have a use for another .243, could you spend that money on renovating your sentimental rifle? New barrel, trigger mechanism, stock, whatever is looking dodgy. Rename it Trigger's Broom! :D

Thanks pedro,

I use it for fox shooting at night, I got a .270 for stalking so was thinking of saying I use my night vision on the .243 at night and it's a pain in the arse re zeroing it with a day ścope every time I wish to go out in the day?and want to have two one with night vision on and one with day ścope?

Its not tatty it's just a fue years old but still shoots like a dream
triggers broom sounds good

Thanks pedro,

I use it for fox shooting at night, I got a .270 for stalking so was thinking of saying I use my night vision on the .243 at night and it's a pain in the arse re zeroing it with a day ścope every time I wish to go out in the day?and want to have two one with night vision on and one with day ścope?

There you go - thats your justification. Job done. Friend of mine has one with NV and one without - exactly the same 'good reason'.

I have TWO x .270 on my FAC. Indeed from one point of view it means that overall you'll be holding LESS ammunition than if you had, say ONE x 270 and ONE x 30-06 (or whatever).

I have an unmoderated rifle I did not want to have threaded and was able to make a case for an additional rifle in the same calibre that would be ready as a properly zeroed and moderated setup. I had no problem getting a slot for the additional rifle in the same calibre.

Well I will just have to put in for a variation then and see what they say . Fingers crossed .

Thanks pedro,

This is what someone I know did in this end of the world. Heym 243 for stalking and Browning x bolt 243 with dedicated NV for splatting Charlie.

Ade

So did I, I bought a NV rig from Scott Country at Kelso fair and my mate said what you putting it on I said I'd like another 22/250. Can't have two same calibre need something else. Now that didn't make sense too me so I called the FEO and they said if you've got a valid reason there's no problem, I explained about the night vision kit variation for another 22/250 through in a week.

Just say you need one set up,for night vision and one for daytime, it saves the cost and wasted ammunition of changing scope on a single rifle

We're back round to different areas having different rules. I wanted a "classic" rifle and the option of a tactical/black gun in the same calibre, both for the same purposes, and they didn't bat an eyelid, just signed it off.

They also asked precisely the questions above - did I want two 17hmr so I didn't have to swap scopes.

Last edited:
Back