Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Churchill

Churchill

Died 50 years ago today.
    Controversial figure.
    Where would we have been without him.
    Speaking German probably.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

A great figure head leader in war time, someone people could focus on, a polititian with the ability to change things and be a great peace time leader ?

Worthy of being called 'a great man', he will never be forgotten.
    He made his mistakes. His two greatest mistakes IMO were Gallipoli and not recognising 'Bomber Command' at the end of the 39-45 war. But he had the foresight to see what was coming and was so placed in our nations history to deal with the task at hand.
    A very great man, I was at school in 1965 when he died.
    ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

SD Regular
    Where would we have been without him. Speaking German probably.
    Those of us whose whose parents hadn't been killed by the Nazis, no doubt. I remember seeing the funeral live on television as a young boy. And the "souvenir" colour Sunday supplements in the newspaper...the Sunday Times I think....the next day.

The bits I remember are the dockyard cranes and the fly past by the Lightnings. I think it is being shown again the whole thing on the BBC?

I think the "issue" with Bomber Command was that Harris refused to do Churchill's bidding and release aircraft for Coastal Command when desperatley needed and to use the RAF Bomber Command tactically after D-Day save on a very few times.

FWIW the same "class" that would have sold us out to the Nazis in 1940 are still pretty much the same "class" that we see on the Conservative (and Labour) Party benches today in reality. You can almost look along the ranks of them and SEE IT in their character.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 24-01-2015 at 12:05.

One "enigma" is why they dismantled the codebreaking machinery at Bletchley.
    Or maybe it was just moved to somewhere else, the start of gchq maybe?

He was also famous for being the last white man to be named Winston...

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Hmm... that one is curious. The first 'Bombe' built as I understand, was actually designed and built by a GPO postmaster and is recognised as one of the first forms of 'proper' computer ever built. The chap concerned was of course sworn to secrecy, but he designed and built it then disappeared into obscurity.
    The subsequent use of it and codebreaking by Alan Turing and those other 'codebreakers' around him was of course astonishing.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Think he was a GPO engineer. They had and still have some clever guys working for them. I used to work in telephone exchanges as a contractor in the GPO days.
    The whole project seems to have been against the wind re officialdom.The GPO engineer had to "appropriate" valves to get it built.
    Typical of the times I think. If you were an engineer you were a blue collar monkey while if you had a good degree in the Classics from Oxbridge you were Establishment.
    Look at what happened to Frank Whittle.

Sorry,diverting my own thread here
    Last edited by private fraser; 24-01-2015 at 14:36.

SD Regular
    I think that they feared it's secrets would be passed on to the Russians who would then use it against Britain. This was the same time of course that British spies working for the Russians were betraying the secrets of the nuclear bomb to the Russians. So smash it up and NOBODY then has its secrets. Kill the goose and it lays eggs for nobody anymore.

Years ago I read The River War by Churchill, not an easy read but worthwhile.
    It gives some background to Islam and shows how little things have changed in that part of the world.
    It's reference to the (mad) Mahdi remind me of some of my pal corporal Jones's recollections